Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

PC games that can be ported

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

Re: PC games that can be ported

Postby espontaneo on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:35 pm

Well AGA is ALOT more colourful (just look at lemon amiga to see the difference. Amiga 500 version probably has like 16 colours, maybe 32.

The DOS version even makes the 1200 version look ugly because it has much better effects - shadows and fog of war and fire look much better.

But I'll take whatever version I can get. Although I think we are a little off topic here.
espontaneo

Postby kamiyay on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:40 pm

kamiyay

Postby espontaneo on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:52 pm

super mario war would be a bit pointless unless you plan on wiring 3 joypads to your dingoo?
espontaneo

Postby kamiyay on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:57 pm

you can play super mario war vs cpu players. Also, although probably not comfortably, you could pull off 2 players with the dingoo. P1 has Dpad, L Button, and Start. P2 has buttons as D-pad, R button, and Select. Make it so that no other combination (other than power) pauses the game.
kamiyay

Postby espontaneo on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:04 pm

ok then, get cracking let me know when you've compiled that sucker :P
espontaneo

Postby kamiyay on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:38 pm

I am no programmer, but is it super hard to port things? I would like to try this (my dingoo arrives today). However, I wouldn't know where to begin and it may be a while before I put linux on my dingoo (no miniSD until my birthday in August).
kamiyay

Postby ezelkow1 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:00 pm

It depends on what your trying to port, what it was originally programmed in, and what its dependencies are. Most of the things that have been done so far dont require much effort, they are all based on sdl or have no extra graphics components/libs necessary, they just require a simple recompile with a dingoo toolchain. Usually they also have to rework some of the code to work with new keymappings, resolutions, and audio settings, but those usually are just quick code changes.

If what you want to port has extra requirements then obviously you are also going to have to compile any extra dependencies that it has that are not standard libraries.

If what your trying to port has any ASM code at all, thats where it really gets tricky since you pretty much cant use any of that previously written code. You have to either rewrite all the asm to work in mips, or discard it completely which would probably then lead to a big performance drop. That is generally the issue with emulators since to get good performance most of them contain some asm that takes commonly used functions or lengthy unsupported opcodes on the original platform and rewrite them to work on the new host cpu. Thats why most of the emulators that have been ported so far, snes9x, scumm etc, dont use any asm and thats why they were so easy to port since they are just based on SDL and dont require any asm.
ezelkow1

Postby kamiyay on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 pm

Ahh, well I will give these a try if someone doesn't beat me to them.
kamiyay

Postby Valentin on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:33 pm

Valentin

Postby Wiredbomb0 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:46 am

Valentin wrote:http://www.wormux.org/wiki/en/index.php

That looks really cool! I'd look forward to that if someone was going to port that!
Wiredbomb0

PreviousNext

Return to Homebrew