Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

PC games that can be ported

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

PC games that can be ported

Postby siem on Sun May 31, 2009 11:38 am

Here you can see/ask if PC games can be ported on the dingoo (like PrDoom already did)
Maybe if many people want the same PC game ported and it's possible can someone port it? :mrgreen:

There's one game I would like to see ported and that is Moto Racer
I don't think this is possible, but here are the min requirements:
Wikipedia wrote:The minimum requirements for the PC version of Moto Racer are Windows 95, DirectX 3, a Pentium 133 MHz processor or equivalent, and 16MB of RAM. The game supports software or Direct3D rendering, but requires 16-bit color (the game will not launch if the Windows desktop is set to 32-bit color).

Edit: It also came on PS1, maybe a PS1 emulator? :mrgreen:
siem

Re: PC games that can be ported

Postby joyrider on Sun May 31, 2009 6:43 pm

i don't think thats possible. you see in order to port something to another platform one would need the source code and i don't think that moto racer game has source code floating around since it is / was a commercial game.

Also it's a lot easier if the source code used libsdl (it's not obligatory but it makes our work a lot easier since we wouldn't have to "convert" the directx and or windows specific functions to sdl / linux code).

so remember ports needs source codes.

i'm goana clean up prboom and make it functional again with the latest kernel and release a new version. I'll also try to compile it staticly this time for a binary release so you can just put on the rootfile system and run it. My waternet game from the gp2x is now fully working also (look in the waternet thread for a new video showing the gameplay and music etc).
joyrider

Postby siem on Sun May 31, 2009 6:46 pm

joyrider wrote:so remember ports needs source codes.

Flatmush already said that ^^
siem

Postby welshmouse on Sun May 31, 2009 10:28 pm

siem wrote:Here you can see/ask if PC games can be ported on the dingoo (like PrDoom already did)
Maybe if many people want the same PC game ported and it's possible can someone port it? :mrgreen:

There's one game I would like to see ported and that is Moto Racer
I don't think this is possible, but here are the min requirements:
Wikipedia wrote:The minimum requirements for the PC version of Moto Racer are Windows 95, DirectX 3, a Pentium 133 MHz processor or equivalent, and 16MB of RAM. The game supports software or Direct3D rendering, but requires 16-bit color (the game will not launch if the Windows desktop is set to 32-bit color).

Edit: It also came on PS1, maybe a PS1 emulator? :mrgreen:

no, its not really possible to port windows games. there are exceptions but usually these are games already released or ported under linux or ported to other formats. (x86 architecture is almost impossible to emulate, and complicated to port).

a PS1 emulator is possible though, i think if someone puts in the hard work (and thats a big if really) then the dingoo should be capable, though it will probably have trouble with more advanced 3d games, due to the lack of a dedicated 3d accellerator.
welshmouse

Postby iliyan on Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:19 am

Someone will make Wine working on the Dingoo Linux and we will see what's next.. :D
(maybe it will be toooo slow but still..)
iliyan

Postby Dosfish on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:13 am

wine only runs on x86 arcitecture, qemu may be possible but way too slow I imagine
Dosfish

Postby fanoush on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:16 pm

I hope we'll see Duke Nukem 3D and Descent. Both are possible as both have open source engines and the CPU is fast enough.
fanoush

Postby joyrider on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:29 pm

i got the gp2x version of duke nukem 3d compiled but it has a lot of problems since it runs in 8 bit graphics mode which i think doesn't work right now. the same happens with opentyrian which also runs in 8 bit color mode. And then there's the issues with the sound, its also not playing correctly don't know why. in both games (opentyrian and duke3d) so i guess i'll wait till the 8bit color mode is fixed.
joyrider

Postby muriani on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:04 pm

I was thinking about Descent on the Dingoo last night, the only issue I see is possibly the controls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_source_games
http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Open_Source/Software/Games/
A couple of listings for open-source game engines, although some of the more notable ones are absent, such as Quake, Descent, etc.
There's a lot of good stuff in there though.
muriani

Postby fanoush on Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:46 pm

joyrider wrote:i got the gp2x version of duke nukem 3d compiled but it has a lot of problems since it runs in 8 bit graphics mode which i think doesn't work right now.

Well AFAIK the external ILI93XX LCD controller can do only 16bit natively, there is no 8bit mode with colormap described in programming datasheet so most probably 256 color mode has to be faked either in SDL or kernel framebuffer driver.

JZ4740 internal LCD controller can do 8 bit color modes but most probably only when connected directly to LCD panel, not in A320 with extra external LCD controller sitting between them. We'll see.
fanoush

Next

Return to Homebrew