Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

PC games that can be ported

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

Re: PC games that can be ported

Postby flatmush on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:05 pm

emusan wrote:
sold wrote:Cool. Thanks for replying.

I was wondering, couldn't anything ported to the PSP be ported to the Dingoo without too much pain? Like the PSP build of Dosbox which is supposed to have a dynamic core for mips?

much of what is ported to the PSP can be ported to the Dingoo, though it would take more than just a simple recompile(they have different libraries). Also anything using the power of the PSP graphics card would be very hard to port to the Dingoo, as the Dingoo has no graphics hardware(it all has to be emulated).

That's right, also anything that uses floating point would be hard to port since floats are 20x or more slower on the PSP. The PSP also has a second processor and a vector floating point unit, if either of these are used in the game that is to be ported then it is unlikely that it will perform well.

grz3siek wrote:Port of Quake II would be awesome. My mobile can run it so I think Dingoo could either.

Like I've said before the graphical limit of the dingoo is probably quake 1, any quake 2 port would need to be very stripped down. Your phone probably has some form of graphical acceleration or a floating point unit which makes this easily possible, the dingoo has nothing but a fixed point processor.
C99 samples without using s2dsdk | MineSweeper | AstroLander
For help with dingoo programming or just in general, join our IRC at irc://irc.freenode.net/#dingoo-a320
flatmush

Postby Dosfish on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:26 pm

Well quake 1 is going to need a lot of work before it's playable I'm only getting 3.4fps at the moment. Probably won't get much better until the framebuffer driver is improved and we get a -msoft-float rootfs and toolchain, even then I'm thinking we'll only get <20 fps.
Dosfish

Postby ezelkow1 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:04 pm

I started work on the msoft float toolchain last night, got pretty far and have a usable one, its just missing some properly built libs. At this point now I just have to go back and do all the little tweaks I had to do last time to get a good finished product. You can always try your quake build with msoft-float manually in your cflags, of course that will only affect that specific code and not any libraries it brings in as well.
ezelkow1

Postby emusan on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:14 pm

if your looking to port quake, have a look at the quake DS source code, they've changed everything so it doesn't use floating point, and they really scaled everything down, it shouldn't be too hard to make the necessary changes for a Dingoo compile.

Same goes for Quake II, they should both be easy if you use some of the techniques used by the DS version.

LINK
emusan

Postby Dosfish on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:38 am

I'm already using fixed point math, I think its the fb driver slowing things down
Dosfish

Postby ezelkow1 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:54 am

Could also be sound, I noticed that giving some issues as well. Finished the msoft-float toolchain and did a short run of nbench, a few things better, some not. I also ran it with the gp2x version of visualboy advance that I had previously tried on the non-msoft toolchain that got about .2fps. This time instead of taking a minute to even show the opening 'nintendo' logo on mario golf, the logo came up immediately and moving graphics were actually seen. It definitely was not playable and the resolution was wrong, but it did seem to be running better.

Ill try to get full nbench tomorrow and possibly upload it and the new rootfs.
ezelkow1

Postby espontaneo on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:09 am

http://tom.noflag.org.uk/glfrontier.html

Glfrontier there is source code for the non gl version.....now that would be a cool game to port...
espontaneo

Postby zear on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:25 am

espontaneo wrote:Glfrontier there is source code for the non gl version.....now that would be a cool game to port...

Yeah, I tried to port it once, but got stucked somewhere. Definitely will give it a try yet.
For now I ported mElite (http://polarelephant.blogspot.com/2007/ ... emake.html), but it's damn slow (about 1fps).
It's even faster on my old 200MHz arm palmtop (where I get up to 6fps).
zear

Postby espontaneo on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:54 am

http://www.geocities.com/quirky_2k1/gam%20...%20index.html

There's already a pretty good port of the original bbc micro elite for the gba...

1fps? Clearly something wrong there. The (non-gl) version of frontier can be compiled in pure C so hopefully avoids cpu architecture issues.

Clearly there would have to be some control features added to it though.
espontaneo

Postby Valentin on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:26 pm

X-Com, Terror from the Deep would be amazing.

/me praises
Valentin

PreviousNext

Return to Homebrew