Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

[EMULATOR] DOOEngine V0.9c

Only for posting new releases of Dingoo OS based software.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: [EMULATOR] DOOEngine V0.9c

Postby Gravis on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:29 am

alekmaul wrote:What cannot you compile from the source code of xrickoo A600 : ? o_O

if xrickoo is exactly the same and can be compiled for a320, then why would you release it under a different name? if it cannot be compiled directly or has any changes to the source code, you must release the full source code.

http://gpl-violations.org/faq/sourcecode-faq.html

What kind of source code do I have to publish under the GNU GPL?

The GNU GPL demands that as soon as you distribute GPL licensed software in executable format you make available the "complete corresponding source code". The GNU GPL also contains a definition of this term:
“ The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable. ”

This is a quite precise definition. For a typical C program, this translates into all the source code (.c files) plus header files (.h files) plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation.

Always keep in mind that it is the purpose of the GPL to enable the users to exercise his freedoms. Specifically, the freedom to make modified versions of the program, and to run such modified versions
of the program.

even a simple "port" must release it's source code.
Last edited by Gravis on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gravis

Postby Gravis on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:31 am

ToYoT wrote:What's your goal ?

to have the source code released.

ToYoT wrote:Alekmaul is a well known coder of the homebrew scene, for me, you are not.

that is irrelevant to the fact that he is violating the GPL.

ToYoT wrote:I'm sick of reading people bashing the ones who try to do something for the scene until they stop...

there is no reason for Alekmaul to stop his project but he is required by law to release the source code.
Gravis

Postby capt_bugaloo on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:55 am

What law? Which country?
capt_bugaloo

Postby heiligerhubertus on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:10 am

@ exophase
why dont YOU port your pc engine emu to dingux?

@ alekmaul
please keep up the good work. the dingoo scene needs devs like you!!
heiligerhubertus

Postby SiENcE on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:57 am

ezelkow1 wrote:Calling it a 'developer version' has nothing to do with it. I have discussed this earlier when working with the toolchains with our linux guru at work. The moment you release a binary for public consumption you become beholden to the license. Now you dont have to immediately release source code, but you do have to keep it around in case someone asks for it, but you cant withold the code if your using gpl'ed code inside..

I know, but what you want todo, mh? So relaxe, we will see what happend. I don't have the time to look into others code nor i want to ;-). I just want a good working Emu. And if someone want to hold close the source until everything works perfect. Perfect.

I also think, to open source brings no real benefit. My projects are all opened and only 5-10 people contributed something usefull. But some people do bad hacks in forks of my code which makes me sometimes very angry. Because people are complaining about problems, they wouldn't have when using my version.
SiENcE

Postby Harteex on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:48 pm

Gravis: what does the GPL say about a situation where one used GPL code as information / reference before writing his/her own implementation?
Harteex

Postby capt_bugaloo on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:39 pm

Anyways, back on topic....

I just spent about half an hour playing Devil's Crush and Galaga 90 with this emulator (v0.9c).
It seems to handle games accurately, though the sound is a bit off.
The speed is slower than the real machine, though fast enough for most games to still be playable.

Excellent work, AlekMaul! I hope you will continue on with this and other emulators for the native environment!
capt_bugaloo

Postby Gravis on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:55 pm

capt_bugaloo wrote:What law? Which country?

copyright law in all countries that have copyright law.

Harteex wrote:Gravis: what does the GPL say about a situation where one used GPL code as information / reference before writing his/her own implementation?

that is irrelevant because it was stated that the code itself was taken from different emulators, not just the information.
Gravis

Postby Harteex on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Gravis wrote:
Harteex wrote:Gravis: what does the GPL say about a situation where one used GPL code as information / reference before writing his/her own implementation?

that is irrelevant because it was stated that the code itself was taken from different emulators, not just the information.

It's very relevant as Alekmaul stated that it wasn't what he meant.
Harteex

Postby Exophase on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:33 pm

It's a very subjective/gray area as to what determines "derived work", and something that people get into arguments over. I know that Charles MacDonald and Ryphecha (authors of TGEmu and Mednafen respectively) don't mind this. For an emulator a lot of the base information is coming from somewhere else, either another person or the same one doing the emulator but with different intentions/purposes. I've never seen someone who wants information they found about a console that they're making available in some format to be anything but public domain, so I don't think alekmaul should have to release the source for such a thing.
Exophase

PreviousNext

Return to Dingoo OS Releases