Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

[EMULATOR] DOOEngine V0.9c

Only for posting new releases of Dingoo OS based software.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: [EMULATOR] DOOEngine V0.9c

Postby athlon4011 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:18 pm

on a side note i find it funny talking about breaking licensing rules and what not, when i guarantee that 99% have roms that would be considered illegal. Ah good times. People quit being bastards about this. if a dev wants the code for this im sure he would release it.

I know i dont know GPL rules but if i was a dev in a open source environment. I would release my code on a person to person basis, that way if they needed help or some sorts they have a more personal interaction with the original dev.
athlon4011

Highscores: 4

Postby alekmaul on Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:26 pm

Gravis wrote:
alekmaul wrote:I know about GPL and just took a look at my xrick port, you have all source code ! SO STOP !

no, i cannot compile this to the for the Dingoo and thus i do not have the source to your program.

http://gpl-violations.org/faq/sourcecode-faq.html

What cannot you compile from the source code of xrickoo A600 : ? o_O (which is here : http://www.portabledev.com/pages/dingoo ... rickoo.php)

As I said, i will put credit about where i find informations, that's not a pb.
alekmaul

Postby Exophase on Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:52 pm

ToYoT wrote:Well, no, for sure, but it help believe him more than an "out of nowhere" man (I'm speaking of Gravis, not you).

And I know than since your stolen code for gpSP by Takka you take all this with a lot of heart, but the fact is that I prefer someone writing or PM something like this :

"Hey, thx for your work ! It would be cool if you can post your code, 'coz it's interresting me..."

more than :

"By The Name Of The God Of GPL ! I Think You Have Stolen This Code ! I'm Sure You Have Stolen This Code ! Post Your Code Or You Are Going To Burn In Hell As The Little Worm That You Are ! And I'm Going To Prove It In The Front Of The WooOOooOOoOOorld !"

My posts weren't anything like that >_> I asked if his emulator was a port of someone else's or if he did it himself (nothing accusatory), and he responded saying that he compiled it from other emulators. Apparently this was poor English on his part, but in turn I simply told him that he should release the source or at least credit the authors, in that case. After that he responded with a lot of sarcasm (ie, "I love this post that's not.."), threats to leave, and various bits about how he's helping and we're not.

I hope you guys understand, I personally couldn't care less if an emulator author makes their source open or not if it's their source to begin with. In fact, I've coded my own closed source PC-Engine emulator (not using anything from a GPL source..) so obviously I don't have a problem with that... and furthermore, for this reason I have no interest whatsoever in actually looking at his source code. I was just saying that if he was taking source from other emulators he needs to put the source back out there and give them credit. He has flat out denied this now so it's really moot, but you can't possibly blame me for thinking that he did when he literally said he did.

And this isn't about rules and laws to me, it's about showing some respect to other emu devs...

This happens all the time in homebrew communities. Someone releases an emulator that's a partial or entire port of another/other emulators, they get asked to release the source, and then the entire userbase gets pissed off because they don't like the software being threatened.
Exophase

Postby benoitb on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:14 pm

You know in french "compiler" doesn't refer only to the computer world. It was used here in a meaning of mixing ideas from various sources of information (Alekmaul will correct me if I'm wrong, if he even still cares about this thread because I know he has many more interesting things to do than having an argument that should not exist).

He says he hasn't violated the GPL. You can believe him.

fr: Alekmaul, j'espère que cet incident à la con ne te retiendra pas de continuer tes excellentes contributions à la scène, avec mes remerciements pour le plaisir de jouer que tu nous procures ;)
benoitb

Postby Harteex on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:19 pm

I don't think people are blaming you Exophase, if they are, I think they confuse you with Gravis.

Anyway, alekmaul has stated that he used the other emulators as reference / information about the PC Engine, and used that to build his own emulator (If I understood the situation correctly).
So I hope we can leave this issue behind...
Harteex

Postby capt_bugaloo on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:44 pm

athlon4011 wrote:i find it funny talking about breaking licensing rules and what not, when i guarantee that 99% have roms that would be considered illegal.

Exactly.
If you have any illicitly copied materials on your Dingoo, be they ROMs, videos, or music you should not be complaining.
capt_bugaloo

Postby Nickeng on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:04 pm

Can we all stop on this GPL thing and let the poor man get on with the coding !
Nickeng

Postby SiENcE on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:05 am

@Gravis: Haha, Public Domain is no official opensource license ;).

For a small emu such a big discussion. Hey alek, you got a real good Advertisement :lol:

@alekmaul:
Small hint, call your EMU a developer version and you don't have to release the code. Only say you will release the code in future when you are done. Then it's no violation ;-). Maybe 1.0 8-) ? How knows.

This is a real good Blogpost about ATARI violation the GPL (Scummvm) : http://sev-notes.blogspot.com/2009/06/g ... tions.html

Even the big ones make a settlement agreement ;)
SiENcE

Postby ezelkow1 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:21 am

Calling it a 'developer version' has nothing to do with it. I have discussed this earlier when working with the toolchains with our linux guru at work. The moment you release a binary for public consumption you become beholden to the license. Now you dont have to immediately release source code, but you do have to keep it around in case someone asks for it, but you cant withold the code if your using gpl'ed code inside.

It also becomes tricky when there are only parts of gpl code in your product and some proprietary. This is what most corporations have to deal with since a ton of them use gpl'ed code. Usually they release whatever changes they have made back to the original creators so they can include it somewhere in their code base, but they dont have to release every piece of source they have created just because part of their application uses gpl. A good example would be someone like tivo or dish. All of their set tops are based on linux, so somewhere on their websites they have links to download the gpl code their stuff is based on what they use, but their actual applications arent posted.

As far as my toolchain changes went. I did my modifications to buildroot, the app both me and booboo used to create the toolchains. I created patches of those and submitted those back to the buildroot developers and eventually they went in to the official buildroot distribution for everyone to use. At that point I dont really have to worry about keeping the source around, my changes are easily reproducible at this point.
ezelkow1

Postby ToYoT on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:33 am

I'm really sorry if you have take it for you Exophase, it was not the goal of my post... As I've said, it was for Gravis and his lack of politeness, no more, it wasn't aiming you... Another time, sorry for the missunderstanding...

Et pour Alekmaul : te prends pas le chou pour quelques nases, tu fais du super boulot, continue !
ToYoT

PreviousNext

Return to Dingoo OS Releases