Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

[EMULATOR] DOOEngine V0.9c

Only for posting new releases of Dingoo OS based software.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: [EMULATOR] DOOEngine V0.9c

Postby Harteex on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:25 am

I believe this is just a language barrier problem.

I also agree with SiENcE, I do believe that's it's fully up to the author to decide if he wants to release his source or not (as long as it doesn't contain code from GPLed emulators, but alekmaul has stated that it does not).
Harteex

Postby Gravis on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:44 pm

SiENcE wrote:@alekmaul: I think you shoudn't here on such comments. If you do not violate the GPL or another License it's fully on you, to release or not release any SourceCode of you.

this person IS violating the GPL.

http://gpl-violations.org/faq/sourcecode-faq.html

What kind of source code do I have to publish under the GNU GPL?

The GNU GPL demands that as soon as you distribute GPL licensed software in executable format you make available the "complete corresponding source code". The GNU GPL also contains a definition of this term:
“ The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable. ”

This is a quite precise definition. For a typical C program, this translates into all the source code (.c files) plus header files (.h files) plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation.

Always keep in mind that it is the purpose of the GPL to enable the users to exercise his freedoms. Specifically, the freedom to make modified versions of the program, and to run such modified versions of the program.

SiENcE wrote:@Gravis & Uukrul: I dont see any sourcecode, apps or emus from you? Are you coders? Are you violating the GPL because of not releasing your changed sourcecodes ;-) ? First look onto yourself, than to others.

all my code is public domain. do not lecture me: http://adaptivetime.com/zelda/downloads.htm
Gravis

Postby Gravis on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:53 pm

alekmaul wrote:I know about GPL and just took a look at my xrick port, you have all source code ! SO STOP !

no, i cannot compile this to the for the Dingoo and thus i do not have the source to your program.

http://gpl-violations.org/faq/sourcecode-faq.html

What kind of source code do I have to publish under the GNU GPL?

The GNU GPL demands that as soon as you distribute GPL licensed software in executable format you make available the "complete corresponding source code". The GNU GPL also contains a definition of this term:
“ The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable. ”

This is a quite precise definition. For a typical C program, this translates into all the source code (.c files) plus header files (.h files) plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation.

Always keep in mind that it is the purpose of the GPL to enable the users to exercise his freedoms. Specifically, the freedom to make modified versions of the program, and to run such modified versions
of the program.

My poor english is certainly the pb, i wanted to say that i took parts of infos from others emus, not the code, the code is mine and not the code from others emus.

this is not what you stated previously:
alekmaul wrote:I took parts from mess, tgemu and mednafen. i compile all , and that's DOOEngine ^^
Gravis

Postby Exophase on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Derk wrote:This is obviously an attack on Dingoo coders because of the very soon to be released Pandora system that these guys fully support. They are hoping to trash the scene to get crossovers to the pandora. Don't listen to them alekmaul they have no interest in helping the dingoo. You've done great things for the scene already and you deserve credit for what you have accomplished. BTW I think its funny and hypocritical for these guys to whine about breaking the law when they support systems whose main function is to provide access to games that they have not paid the rights to use, i.e. emulation. I believe you when you say you wrote the code. And until they have a court ordered subpoena to view the source code and compare it, they are committing slander when they make such wild accusations. Which btw IS illegal.

Your paranoia is utterly ridiculous. First of all, I'm the only one here who even posts on gp32x - not Uukrul, not Gravis. And gp32x is also not a Pandora site, in fact it has a lot of avid users of Dingoo and fully supports it - Pandora isn't even out, so if anything Dingoo would be more compared to the GP2X Wiz, which it often is (and favorably). In fact, Pandora's creator himself did a review where he had several nice things to say about the Dingoo, which is not surprising given that he sells them in his store. So get any idea that you think this is about me trying to trash this scene out of your head, especially if you're going to talk about me committing slander (which you called illegal.. ehehe, you're an idiot)

Now, try and understand that I personally am friends with the authors of TGEmu and Mednafen and I know that they wouldn't want their code ripped off. I never made any accusations, I ASKED alekmaul if Dooengine is a port and he said himself in plain English that he's using code from these emulators, going so far to say that he compiled them together to make Dooengine. Now he's saying there's a language barrier problem and if so then fine, but I'm going to remain a little skeptical given that I know that he's using someone else's z80 core verbatim for his SMS emulator. It's no different than how it was years ago for DSMasterPlus, which is part of the reason why my friend Lordus made ApprenticeMinusDS (get the name?). Still, there's no point in not giving him the benefit of the doubt. And possibly look back on the posts I and others actually did make and understand how your response is way out of proportion.

All of this crap about GPL vs legality of emulation is neither here nor there, as emulator authors we have no affiliation with what illegal things people decide to do with it, no more than an mp3 player manufacturer has liability for their users using it to play stolen CDs. But that doesn't mean that mp3 players, which are otherwise legal, are allowed to violate the patents of other mp3 players, which would not be legal. But I was never personally trying to make this about the law. All I told him is that if he's using other people's code then he should release the source or at least give them credit. If he's not then we can leave it at that, but why should I take responsibility for such an outright violation of the English language? If someone tells you they hope your mother dies then later explains that they really meant that they hope she lives to be 100 does that mean you need to make a public apology for being offended at the first thing they said?

Please, stop sticking up for people blindly just because you're trying to promote their work that you happen to benefit from. It's terribly biased and shortsighted and reflects poorly on your ability to treat people objectively and outside of your own personal interests. I don't know about other people porting to Dingoo but if they're using GPLed code or code under other licenses that require it then they need to release their source too. It's not like it's such a horrible thing to have to do.
Last edited by Exophase on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exophase

Postby Uukrul on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:45 pm

SiENcE wrote:@Gravis & Uukrul: I dont see any sourcecode, apps or emus from you? Are you coders? Are you violating the GPL because of not releasing your changed sourcecodes ;-) ? First look onto yourself, than to others.

Just for your information, I'm A600 and I always release the sourcecode.
Uukrul

Postby Exophase on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:47 pm

Uukrul wrote:

Just for your information, I'm A600 and I always release the sourcecode.

Oops, never mind that part about you not being on gp32x then, although it's not like you're super-regular ^^
Exophase

Postby ToYoT on Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi to all !
Salut m'sieur Alekmaul !

I don't even believe that I'm writing for such a thing !

This post is for Gravis, as I am agree with Exophase on most of his answer.

What's your goal ? make Alekmaul stop is emulator by flaming him ? Alekmaul is a well known coder of the homebrew scene, for me, you are not. Except if you believe that we must be impressed by your 9 years running project and the few others things you've made in the early 2000 ?

I'm sick of reading people bashing the ones who try to do something for the scene until they stop...
ToYoT

Postby dezign999 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:28 pm

I agree with ToYoT, Alekmaul is very well known in the emu scene and I can't say I know or have heard of any of the other people here screaming foul with GPL.

It looks like a simple language issue with the questions and answers regarding his code and nothing more.

Alekmaul - As always thank you for your continued efforts.
dezign999

Postby Exophase on Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:36 pm

dezign999 wrote:I agree with ToYoT, Alekmaul is very well known in the emu scene and I can't say I know or have heard of any of the other people here screaming foul with GPL.

Do you think how well known someone is should have bearing on whether or not they're doing the right thing?
Exophase

Postby ToYoT on Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Well, no, for sure, but it help believe him more than an "out of nowhere" man (I'm speaking of Gravis, not you).

And I know than since your stolen code for gpSP by Takka you take all this with a lot of heart, but the fact is that I prefer someone writing or PM something like this :

"Hey, thx for your work ! It would be cool if you can post your code, 'coz it's interresting me..."

more than :

"By The Name Of The God Of GPL ! I Think You Have Stolen This Code ! I'm Sure You Have Stolen This Code ! Post Your Code Or You Are Going To Burn In Hell As The Little Worm That You Are ! And I'm Going To Prove It In The Front Of The WooOOooOOoOOorld !"
ToYoT

PreviousNext

Return to Dingoo OS Releases