Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

ANy one interested in an APP Store

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ANy one interested in an APP Store

Postby martinax85 on Sat May 16, 2009 6:56 pm

Posting same here as on dingoo-digital:

Well... There are a couple of reasons that it works for the iphone/ipod touch I think like:
* Apple is a big registered (trusted) corporation with a lot of money
* Iphone / IpT has a large screen, with the application-based keyboard it works as more than a game device/phone
* Iphone / IpT is MARKETED as more than a gaming device/phone with TV ADS etc, making it interesting for a wider audience

IF you are going to do this, you'd probably need a lot of money and a steady company. You need a staff to test every application / game, compare and match to other similiar products. Because once there are a violation (not if, but when), of copied sprites, stolen music etc... It's a law suit (as with overrated violence and sex content which also occur).
When you get this rolling, how would you charge for things? Apple takes a quite lot of money for developers just to be able to make things for the store, since the people behind it need to get paid as well.
And if the product does not get his product sold, then the developer is feeling scammed, because it's not a free product he made, it's a commercial one that he put effort into, to get sold, at your trusted service (otherwise he could post it free anywhere, on many places, instead of only at your store, but if he puts it for free on many places AND your store, people will rather download it for free than to pay for it, therefor you need to advertise to make people find it on your store, and advertising costs money).

Sure, it CAN work, but it needs a LOT of work, more than one person behind the store and a couple of developers . I wish you luck tho!
martinax85

Postby Bingo83 on Sat May 16, 2009 7:04 pm

And why should you profit from their hardwork? I am always very suspicious of anyone who purports to be helping a scene so long as there is money in it for them.

What similar sites have you coded, and why should any developer trust you to honour the agreement and forward any fees generated on to them?
Bingo83

Postby kswildside on Sat May 16, 2009 11:59 pm

1. It's not only to help the scene but to help the dingoo get more well know and something the average joe can own. As for making money it's what makes the world go around and as for making alot of money I would be handing over 75% of the money to the developer or home brewer. As for the cheating someone it would be all drawn up in legal binding contracts both federal and state law as to assure I or the developer would not be cheated. I would be the one putting out the cost of the website etc and would need some compensation for that. Below is a reply to all the other questions posted...

My Point to the topic was you can have your cake and eat it too. If you took the time to read the whole post you would see. I said as the home brewer or developer you can do what you wish with the software.

If you want to post it on a forum or some where on the scene or P2P for the matter with the APP store I'm not asking for exclusive rights to anything thats up to the developer/home brewer not me.

I'm just providing a venue to sale the items. As for open source I'm all for it and open devices I think there great linux has been open source for years but they have commercial aspects like red hat etc that distro and package there own version.

It's not going against anything the people who buy it are the ones who have no idea or clue how to navigate the web or even about the techie scene.

They see a review on Toms Hardware or Gizmodo about the Dingoo and just had to have one but have no clue where to get games or apps. Thats were the APP store comes in a centralized place to get APPS and Games and for those developers and homebrewers to makes some money for there hard work versus a virtual pat on the back.

Everythiing costs whether it's time or money or both and just because it's open source doesn't mean it isn't packaged and sold. I mean if that was the case why isn't Dingoo handing them out free.
If anything it would attract more people and developers to the fold and make the dingoo A320 and future models ten times better.

As for legal aspect If a developer copys or steals something from another game without permission thats on them. As for testing and support that would also be them as they are making 75% of the take for each one sold. Unlike APPLE after costs of bandwidth and such I would maybe take home 5 to 10% from each game/app sold. That would all be in the contract along with being posted as a disclaimer on the website.

All support for the games or apps and legal consquences would be on the shoulders of the developer not me as the vendor.
kswildside

Postby Wiredbomb0 on Sun May 17, 2009 12:11 am

To be honest, 75% for doing all the work seems a bit small in my opinion. I personally wouldn't put my apps onto the suggested 'shop'. It's really up to the developers.
Wiredbomb0

Postby kswildside on Sun May 17, 2009 12:34 am

That can be discussed also so can the price of 1.99 per app I mean the other APP stores do have apps that go for more then 1.99 as for bottom line and out for me would be 15% I would be willing to do all the legal work making contracts developing the website advertising it and the latest games aquiring reviews from cnet etc. I think 25% is fair for all that but the least I would do it for is 15%.

Other questions were brought up on another forum so I'm gonna post them here also....

Look I didn't start the post number one to be bashed or number 2 to start a pissing contest with anyone. In the contract each developer will sign it will be stated that any content they put up for sale must be legal and developed by them.

A comment was made saying if they can't surf the web they don't need a dingoo answer from me : Everyone I repeat everyone was a newbie at some point and either you do alot of reading or had someone show you how it's plan and simple. I have worked on helpdesks and desktop support and also as a network admin. Trust me there are more of them then there are of us. Most people rely on someone to teach them or fix things thats the reason computer stores and the geek squad make so much money ;)

If adeveloper has any content in there games or apps from any other source they must number one acknowledge it and two get permission from the copyright owner of said part. Apple doesn't provide any support for there games or apps unless they developed them if you have an issue with an app or game they direct you to the developer.
There will also be content and equiette guidelines in the contract. This will all be posted on the site for users to view along with a complaint form and section for complaints to be reported on any matter. As like facebook or anything if something is posted that is illegal the copyright owner must notify you and then you must remove the item from publication. So that would prevent a law suit and if they came after me for infringement I would have the contract to protect me and my company.
So guys I guess maybe a bad idea to even post the idea here just an idea as I said not looking for a pissing contest.
kswildside

Postby welshmouse on Sun May 17, 2009 9:07 am

no.

just no.
welshmouse

Postby emusan on Sun May 17, 2009 6:11 pm

I personally think it would be a bad idea. Selling the programs, no matter what your contract says, can get you into huge trouble if you make a small mistake with copyright.

The Dingoo isn't open source, and they would never give it away for free, there is a difference between open source hardware, and open source software.

And please don't get angry at people for saying that they think that this is a horrible idea, you asked for their ideas, and thats what you get.

In my opinion I think we should have an SVN or a googlecode page or similar thing to hold all the projects in one central location, however a store where you need to pay for apps that would otherwise be free is, in my opinion, a very bad idea.
emusan

Postby SiENcE on Sun May 17, 2009 6:59 pm

I will develop more apps for the dingoo and i will make them all opensource :-).
SiENcE

Postby Bingo83 on Sun May 17, 2009 7:11 pm

I have no problem donating or paying the developer directly for their hard work. I wouldnt be happy paying a middleman for something they had no hand in the creation of.
Bingo83

Postby jasha on Sun May 17, 2009 7:38 pm

Nope, not really.
jasha

PreviousNext

Return to Homebrew