Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

ANy one interested in an APP Store

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ANy one interested in an APP Store

Postby emusan on Sun May 17, 2009 10:34 pm

Bingo83 wrote:I have no problem donating or paying the developer directly for their hard work. I wouldnt be happy paying a middleman for something they had no hand in the creation of.

I agree completely, I would much rather donate to a developers page after playing and enjoying a game, than pay for something in a "store" before I can even know if its worth the money.
I myself am a developer(not quite for dingoo yet, working on it), and I would much rather have someone play my game, and ask them to donate if they enjoyed it(or not), this helps the game get to a much wider audience than it would if people had to pay for it.
emusan

Postby seagal on Mon May 18, 2009 2:51 pm

the best way to get people onto the dingoo is free apps, games and emus.
seagal

Postby kswildside on Mon May 18, 2009 10:56 pm

Ok let me rephrase then would you be willing to pay say like $15.00 to $25.00 a year for a membership based website that would have forums and the latest applications and apps. All developers would get free access to the website for providing apps and games to the website.
kswildside

Postby ezelkow1 on Mon May 18, 2009 11:02 pm

The problem with that proposal is that it can be done for free. There are already 4 free forums that developers use, im sure at some point one forum will start to take over. There is also a couple file repositories as well, one setup in the same vein as the gp32 file repositories. There just seems to be no real incentive to want to pay for anything like that when any developers do the work for free for the love of doing it, they all know there is pretty much .000000001% chance they would make any money on this and it usually doesn't bother them, they do it for the love of hacking stuff up.
ezelkow1

Postby Kojote on Mon May 18, 2009 11:05 pm

to add my two cents...

we all see what the appstore has done to the iphone homebrew. once developers smell the chance to get money (which is fully legit), the better try to get a dollar, which is better than nothing. so at the end it will mean lots of low cost software, but hardly real free stuff.
Kojote
http://www.pdroms.de - Daily news for plenty of homebrew enabled consoles and handhelds!
http://www.retroguru.com - Emulation News Aggregator
Kojote

Postby emusan on Mon May 18, 2009 11:59 pm

doing a subscription type thing would be almost worse than paying individually, and giving developers special rights wouldn't make people very happy. The subscription service idea alienates kids who don't have credit cards and who already pay for WoW :lol: . Also we would have to create copy protection and DRM so that one person can't just pay for a day, download everything, then never pay again. This puts more pressure on developers to create code that is harder to hack, and they would end up being paid less. This would also create huge problems of locking up the whole Dingoo scene, I joined and started developing for the GP2X/Dingoo/PSP/DS scene for the precisely the opposite reason. I believe that code should be open sourced and let free into the world, not locked up just for profit. And as many companies have shown, it is possible to profit on open source(iD, DSL, the list goes on).

The whole idea of trying to make an app-store like thing for the Dingoo is completely the wrong direction from where we should go, besides, as many here have stated we don't have the fanbase to successfully launch something like that.

If developers really NEED to make money(as in loss of house if they don't), they can ask politely for donations, or release a game that is closed, but with an open-source demo(much like iD).
emusan

Postby kswildside on Tue May 19, 2009 12:00 am

End of the day the idea behind the store was number one to make money for the work the developers do. As for me making any money well It takes time to maintain a store and bandwidth etc to keep it going plus advertising and other expenses I understand it's an open device but we have to get more apps that are legal out for the dingoo.

The bottom line to more people we attract techies and newbies and just people who want one we attract to the dingoo. The best way is a legit piracy free application and games APP store. Where people get the benefit of good games and apps. As for testing of APPS once the store took off I have done thinking on that matter and there would have to be some testers and Q and A people hired on to test them to make sure they are worth it along with an approval process.
kswildside

Postby emusan on Tue May 19, 2009 12:05 am

kswildside wrote:we have to get more apps that are legal out for the dingoo.

There is nothing illegal about the apps coming out for the Dingoo right now, but if we start selling them, thats when you start running into serious problems, even the slightest copyright infringement will be taken to court, they are more okay with you distributing their material for free, than if your making money off it(developers or yourself).

I think we should however start up an SVN or google code site(probably both, most new people cant use SVN), and organize it better than these forums.
emusan

Postby apexultima on Tue May 19, 2009 12:49 am

Just make an App database similar to the APP Store, at least things will be tidy.
apexultima

Postby emusan on Tue May 19, 2009 1:30 am

apexultima wrote:Just make an App database similar to the APP Store, at least things will be tidy.

see this: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi its not done yet, but its getting there
emusan

Previous

Return to Homebrew