Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Hatari (Atari ST emulator) v1.0 Port for Dingux

Only for posting new Dingux software releases.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Hatari (Atari ST emulator) v1.0 Port for Dingux

Postby espontaneo on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:41 am

mrLogan wrote:
espontaneo wrote:bit of a problem - I'm still getting double clicks with A in mouse mode.

mmmm.....is it double clicking on the desktop? or are you seeing it in some game?

In all games I've tried that use the mouse. For example in Captive if I want to move pressing once on an arrow will take two steps, If I turn off mouse emulation I press and go one step (but can't move the pointer ;) )

But now that you come to mention it, not on the desktop - So I guess this means that pressing "A" means pressing the mouse button and joystick button at the same time, so it's registering two presses?
Last edited by espontaneo on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
espontaneo

Postby Hellsing1 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi,

Great works but some issues.

1: When selecting a second disk you have to scroll through the files in the folder but the mouse keeps going back to the centre of the screen rather than staying where it was - takes you have to keep moving the pointer back and forward. Also can't scroll down either on the main Atari screen, some games have loads of files.

2: Some games need other key presses - eg Blood Money needs F1 to start, Wizball needs a key to select ingame options,Super Cars needs a key to use weapons. The Sentiel needs numbers to select a landscape - plus very slow moving the cursor on this game.

Don't know how to resolve this except to have a config file for each game you select.

3: Virus, which uses the mouse, plays smoothly but controls are going crazy when thrusting/shooting - does it without pressing a key.

Apart from that, and games just not loading, its great to play Backlash on a handheld.
Hellsing1

Postby espontaneo on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:31 pm

Yeah, F1 is a common one, alot of games use it either for language select (ie Hero Quest) or start 1 player (Barbarian (palace))....

Unfortunately I think the only answer for all the possible keys is a virtual keyboard...
espontaneo

Postby mrLogan on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:49 pm

espontaneo wrote:
mrLogan wrote:
espontaneo wrote:bit of a problem - I'm still getting double clicks with A in mouse mode.

mmmm.....is it double clicking on the desktop? or are you seeing it in some game?

In all games I've tried that use the mouse. For example in Captive if I want to move pressing once on an arrow will take two steps, If I turn off mouse emulation I press and go one step (but can't move the pointer ;) )

But now that you come to mention it, not on the desktop - So I guess this means that pressing "A" means pressing the mouse button and joystick button at the same time, so it's registering two presses?

Yes that is what was happening, will be fixed in the next release. It does mean people will have to get used to switching between mouse mode and joystick mode but since its only one button I am sure it will be ok. Might catch a few people out who are used to the dpad "seemslessly" keep working going from the desktop to the game.

mmm...there's a thought....perhaps default to mouse on startup and switch to joystick when load routine kicks in.....mmm...
mrLogan

Postby mrLogan on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:57 pm

Hellsing1 wrote:Hi,

Great works but some issues.

1: When selecting a second disk you have to scroll through the files in the folder but the mouse keeps going back to the centre of the screen rather than staying where it was - takes you have to keep moving the pointer back and forward. Also can't scroll down either on the main Atari screen, some games have loads of files.

2: Some games need other key presses - eg Blood Money needs F1 to start, Wizball needs a key to select ingame options,Super Cars needs a key to use weapons. The Sentiel needs numbers to select a landscape - plus very slow moving the cursor on this game.

Don't know how to resolve this except to have a config file for each game you select.

3: Virus, which uses the mouse, plays smoothly but controls are going crazy when thrusting/shooting - does it without pressing a key.

Apart from that, and games just not loading, its great to play Backlash on a handheld.

1. Bug's found and dealt a swift slap. Next release should see the problem gone.

3. It could be that joystick and mouse are both activated in which case it should also be fixed in the next release. See my post about the double press issue.

2. Been thinking about this and came up with two options:

a) virtual keyboard - its got all the keys but it gets in the way of the action
b) extend current menu to include reasignment of x,y,start - instant use but only 3 keys active at anyone time.

What do you think?
mrLogan

Postby espontaneo on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:13 pm

Well you asked - so I'd say both for maximum flexibilty.

The virtual keyboard on the speccy emu is pretty good...

Cheers for working on this - 'doing great.
espontaneo

Postby Hellsing1 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:19 pm

Hi,

You will need a virtual keyboard but it will be used to help with assigning the keys as its a pain to play text adventures with it.

I think we need to be able to assign keys for each game then save a config file which loads when game is loaded. So Blood Money for example would have a file called Blood Money.cfg with the key setting mapped to the buttons. This is what happens on the Spectrum on the GBA. Most games will use only a few keys.

Have you thought about assigning L as Y and R as N and having exit as a combination, such as select+start. That will free up 3 buttons + start.

We need to realise that we're no going to get perfect emulation when dealing with a computer emu but try to get most games working. Some games are simply not possible.
Hellsing1

Postby lolafg on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:32 am

mrLogan wrote:p.s. I am might be interested in doing maybe another port of something, anyone got any idea's or requests?

Please , please UAE4all would be really great !!!
lolafg

Postby tuki_cat on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:00 am

Hi,

Fantastic emulator.

I think the virtual keyboard would be best. Most games only need key presses for the main menus. After that it is mainly fire buttons (apart from text adventures and footy management games). The virtual keyboard in the spectrum emulator also lets you map some keys to various buttons so it provides a good comprose between the two.

Thanks for all your work.
tuki_cat

Postby mrLogan on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:17 am

mrLogan wrote:p.s. I am might be interested in doing maybe another port of something, anyone got any idea's or requests?

Having thought about it , it's obvious to me that much can be done to improve this port. So I think I am going to stick with it for a little while longer before moving on to anything new. It gives me chance to get a deeper understanding of the c programming language and cross compiling etc.

That said my aims for the next release will be:

- bug fixes
- rewriting the key/joystick routines to exclusively support the dingoo
- change quit to L & R & SELECT and menu to L & R & START freeing up keys for mapping
- create new dialog for key/joystick exclusive for the dingoo to allow mapping of buttons. it will have a dual purpose of virtual keyboard and button reassignment.

This will take some time so don't expect to see anything soon.
mrLogan

PreviousNext

Return to Dingux Releases