Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

anybody intrested to import JAVA for Dingoo?

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

Re: anybody intrested to import JAVA for Dingoo?

Postby DukeMagus on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:15 pm

sometimes even i can get seriously stressed with some people...

Open source devices are far more versatile than it should... it's their ace. since u're not limited to what the manufacturer want, you can do anything. and java isn't just to mobile games ports... it is another way to do programs, apps AND GAMES to dingoo. the more tools you can use, more the chances do actually do something. java is popular and a little easier than programing on python or c++ in some cases...

And let's face it... it's easier to people improve dingoo in an unexpected way because the user base would like it than they just ignore it because of a single reluctant user.

as a side note... measures converter are little more useful, especially if you uses to read foreign books... in brazil we use celsius, kilograms and metric scales... farnheit, inches, ounces, feets and pound are kinda complicated to manually convert.
DukeMagus

Postby espontaneo on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:29 pm

My point is that there a lot more people asking than there are coders - and coders don't do things simply because you ask them to - they do things because they want to.

DukeMagus: if this sort of thing is so important why don't you learn to code it?

Yes it could do all those things but my $40 mobile phone can do those things and nobody has to code for it! Plus it has a numeric keypad. Wow! just like a calculator!

Dingoo is a games machine pure and simple (it does media but who really cares?) - there are a hundred devices out there better for doing the sort of things your interested in.

Yes these things could be done - but they would be novelties - hacks if you will - hacks are often about doing something for the sake of it - not because it's practical or particularly useful

Personally I'm a gamer and the Dingoo is a games machine (the clue is in the snes pad layout)....Java could help bring some poor quality games to the dingoo (and some pointless apps)

Yay!

By all means keep asking for new features - flooding the boards with requests - completely ignore reality if you will - go on, it's your time.
espontaneo

Postby espontaneo on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:40 pm

I suppose we could always count up the number of apps (not including apps to make games run better or media players) out for the dingoo versus the number of games and emus.....this would surely give us an indication of what coders like working on.

Oh dear....guess that's your answer then.
espontaneo

Postby nine10 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:35 pm

symbian games might be nice
nine10

Postby Yongary on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:32 am

Java would allow us to run Doom RPGTDoom RPG on our Dingoos

that seems like as good a reason as any to port J2ME for the Dingoo :D
Yongary

Postby lordbla on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:42 am

I've recently had an email-discussion with booboo, asking him if it would be possible to add python and maybe pygame to the rootfs. He answered he was very interested and would also like to include java. He then asked me to file a feature-request in the bugtracker and I did.
He's low on time, so it might take a serious while till he takes a chance to actually build them, but then again, he released the files needed to create custom rootfs today, so maybe someone else will try it now it's got more possible.
lordbla

Postby DukeMagus on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:54 pm

as i've told, dingoo can exceed expectations... AND JAVA APPS AND GAMES ARE NOT POINTLESS ADDITIONS!
DukeMagus

Postby nine10 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:48 am

JAVA APPS AND GAMES are welcome!

=P
nine10

Postby Altermind on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:51 pm

There is totally no point to JAVA on the Dingoo. Why don't people just learn C/C++ and code apps/games with that?

Show me what can be done with Java on the Dingoo that can't be done with C/C++?
Altermind

Postby Derk on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:25 am

@Altermind, Your argument could be applied to linux on dingoo as well. Why install linux on the dingoo and code for that instead of the native OS? Because it is easier of course. Coders are more familiar with it, as well as the end users. And it opens the doors to more software applications that won't run on the original OS.

Its not that Java has more capability than C. Its that there are already many apps that are written for Java which could be directly installed if JVM and J2ME/SE was ported to dingux. So instead of people coming on here begging coders to make something that the coder doesn't care about anyway, people can do some digging and find a freeware JAR file of what they need and go from there.

I'm not saying that Java on dingux would add great games to the system, because most of them are crap versions of games already on the dingoo IMO. But the applications would be very useful. People have already requested things like a PDF reader, Metronome, Guitar tuner, encyclopedia, dictionary, thesaurus, JPC (x86 emulator), and a media player that supports subtitles and codec upgrades, which are all available through Java. There are also linux applications that wont run on the dingoo because they require java support.
Derk

PreviousNext

Return to Homebrew