Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

What is the a320 capable of?

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

What is the a320 capable of?

Postby TheSlyder on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:31 pm

With a Linux based operating system, wouldn't it be relatively easy to program all kinds of useful applications for it?

Couldn't the Dingoo (With Dingux) become as useful a gadget as the iphone is?

Hell, if there were a way to hook a microphone up to it and connect it to the internet, couldn't it, in theory, run Skype and act as a phone?

Where are the limitations for this gadget?
TheSlyder

Re: What is the a320 capable of?

Postby Warpedflash on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:21 pm

you could do that and people are looking for ways to connect the dingoo to teh net either with wireless SD or from the mini usb port. And networking works already :) you can play duke3d on your local network when its connected via usb

only thing thta rely limits it is iths power and controls
Warpedflash

Postby batman52 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:52 pm

dingoo actually already HAS a microphone. In spite of this there is no hope to get skype running on dingoo, since skype not open sourced, so we can't compile it. The only chance to get some VoIP sw is to compile some SIP based client such as Ekiga.
batman52

Postby quadomatic on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:51 am

Don't get too excited.

The limitation is the homebrew community, and while that may seem optimistic, don't expect an iPhone-esque gadget out of the Dingoo.

VoIP is probably the last thing you should expect. First, wi-fi isn't going to be easy on the Dingoo. Sure, there are SDIO wifi adapters, but they would be difficult to get working. Then, it wouldn't be easy to get a SIP application working on Dingoo.

If you're looking for VoIP, I suggest you get a smartphone with Symbian S60 or Windows Mobile and install Fring. I set up gizmo project with google voice and now I have unlimited calling to anyone in the US over wifi.

If the Dingoo garners as heavy a software library as the GP2X, I will be ecstatic.
quadomatic

Postby DukeMagus on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:44 pm

in fact, i was thinking on dingoo as a milti-purpose tool... reading PDF, making voice notes, mayvbe some java/python apps toorganize your day (Maybe using some clock program... even without internal clock battery, if u don't turn it off maybe it could work).

in last case and with extreme skills someone could do something like simplified list system for you to use as a a general classifier (like tags on forums) or even a pdf reader

more than that and the gods should help you A LOT
DukeMagus

Postby espontaneo on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:42 pm

I think I'd rather people concetrate on games/emulators (and media I suppose) than spending thier time developing alot of apps the dingoo is poorly suited for - and which will be novelties at best.

The dingoo is a pocket games machine and media player it is not nor ever will be a "do everything" all in one machine - anyone with a mobile phone will have a device that is a better schedular/calculator/calender/scrobbler + they can bluetooth and connect to the internet etc.

On a further note programmers have to have motivation to do these things anyway and I can't see a great desire for such features (PDF reader sure, of course that's useful) compared to emulators and games....
espontaneo

Postby DukeMagus on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:44 pm

ok, so a more optimized Snes emu and a pdf reader...

well, that's good for now, but with linux and python capabilities, maybe we can surpass the basic uses of the dingoo
DukeMagus

Postby quadomatic on Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:01 pm

I agree with espontaneo, the Dingoo is purely a game system. Even the DS didn't get a decent PDA setup, and it has wifi and a touch screen.
quadomatic

Postby Malyce on Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:23 pm

I also agree with the 2 previous posts. While I imagine its possible to run all sorts of different apps from the dingoo, its just simply not the reason I carry mine around. Regardless of how many apps would be released, I would still just carry it around as my PMP, i have my cellphone for everything else. . I would rather see Dingux become a much better/more polished version of the original OS.
Malyce

Postby Haas on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:35 pm

I would say anything that don't need a keyboard and internet and is usefull on the road should be cool for the dingoo.

So no sheduller. But some kind of google maps would be handy and off course the calculator.
Haas

Next

Return to Homebrew