Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

They've now known about the Y/B Button issue for 3 months

All topics/questions about A320 hardware

Moderator: Moderators

They've now known about the Y/B Button issue for 3 months

Postby pinata on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:41 pm

http://www.dingoo888.com/bbs/dispbbs.asp?boardid=65&id=322&page=&star=2

I was looking through the Dingoo forums for any information on a fix and I saw that this issue has been known since January 20. It's now April 21st. Where is the fix? It really doesn't make sense that it would take this long. I would think that whoever wrote the button code in the firmware would be able to make the change in less than a day. Fix it and call the firmware 1.35 and release it already. What are they waiting for? I'm starting to think it might be a hardware issue.

I really like the device in general, but it doesn't make sense for them not to fix such a small issue.
pinata

Re: They've now known about the Y/B Button issue for 3 months

Postby JeKel on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:34 am

Yes, we've all been just reconfiguring button layout to play games like Super Mario Land so you can run fast while holding a turtle and jump without releasing it, lol. If you go back in the posts here you can read Dingoosophia's (employee of Dingoo Digital) response to such issues. Basically they built a cool little console (with a few minor glitches), and it's probably the most affordable one of it's kind with all it's capabilities from what I can tell. However, they don't seem interested in fixing any of the glitches on the A320, only on future consoles as she says. If these issues are going to get fixed, it's likely going to be done by programmers that have the knowledge and see it as a worthy use of their time to devote the effort. Hmmm, I wonder if we took up a collection if we could bribe someone... lol.
-JeKel
JeKel

Postby pinata on Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:01 am

Yeah, there's people working on getting Linux and Rockbox to run on it, but they've run into problems getting details on the hardware of the unit. I'm sure they'll get it up and running eventually, but it does suck that the dingoo company is being very secretive about everything. I'm assuming it's because they don't want copycat clones out there from competitors. They won't even release the specs that the community has already found by opening the unit and reading the model names from the chips. Also, I wonder how well this thing is really doing since I doubt they are really manufacturing 30,000 of these a week. I mean, the GP2X had the whole homebrew/open source community behind it and it did like 60,000 units, a lot of which apparently came from selling it as an aide to learn English in Korea.
pinata

Postby gibberoids on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:47 am

it was obviously too much to ask that a chinese company produced a neat bit of hardware and then actually stuck with it and corrected all the mistakes they made with it. sofia, if you are reading, your company needs to do the following:

release updated firmware regularly, fixing issues like the button presses and adding new features as requested by the community
release improved and new emulators (or release the source code for the emulators you used, which you are OBLIGED TO DO LEGALLY since they are almost all GPL)
become more friendly towards community developers by releasing specs of the hardware and other info prospective developers are asking for.

if you do these things, you will continue selling the device for many many years to come. if you abandon it and release something else in a few months time you will lose a lot of respect from the gaming community and will probably end up selling less in the long term.
gibberoids

Postby Link on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:37 pm

I agree that this issue should be addressed by the company that is producing the Dingoo.

What is the status of this issue?

Can we expect a resolution?

Peace

Link
Link

Postby Bingo83 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:15 pm

You can email Sofia or PM her on the boards here with your concerns and questions.
Bingo83

Postby Saikoro on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:59 am

pinata wrote:Yeah, there's people working on getting Linux and Rockbox to run on it, but they've run into problems getting details on the hardware of the unit. I'm sure they'll get it up and running eventually, but it does suck that the dingoo company is being very secretive about everything. I'm assuming it's because they don't want copycat clones out there from competitors. They won't even release the specs that the community has already found by opening the unit and reading the model names from the chips. Also, I wonder how well this thing is really doing since I doubt they are really manufacturing 30,000 of these a week. I mean, the GP2X had the whole homebrew/open source community behind it and it did like 60,000 units, a lot of which apparently came from selling it as an aide to learn English in Korea.

This kind of information is what somewhat scares me. There should be no reason why Dingoo's team should be so secretive, and the "because they dont want knockoffs" line is a bunch of bullshit. Dont want knockoffs?? The unit looks like the bottom half of a DS for crying out loud. The Fornt-End looks suspiciously like the PSP's XMB. Emulators look like knockoffs of the PSP's MVS, CPS1/2 and Console Emulators. Somethings shady here, and thats not a good thing. But again, this is China were talking about.

The Dingoo is certainly awesome for its price range. The Team should be more open to Input/Fixes to aid in making their community grow. In due time I guess....

-Saikoro
Saikoro

Postby Wiredbomb0 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:08 pm

Sofia (or whoever), should see that the device they have, is PERFECT for opensource/user-created-content. If they can't be bothered to fix a bug they have know about for 3 months, then they should at least release the source code so someone who wants to, will! Honestly, it's just stupid. I don't believe 'they don't want competition' line, it doesn't make sence. As Saikoro said, it looks like the bottom half of a DS, who would want to copy that? There is no point! I really want to get my teeth into the SDK and get some native apps up and running. I've never had a homebrew device now, and Game Maker just doesn't cut it. Now that I'm fired up, what happened to the 'English' SDK? I thought that was going to be implemented ages ago? What happened to that? It's near damned impossible to set the Soft3D SDK up, and there are people ready and willing to get into me.
Wiredbomb0

Postby strider_mt2k on Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:18 pm

Folks, some of you need to realize the reality of the situation.
This is a gray-area niche device from a relatively little-known Chinese manufacturer. -mull that over.

They don't necessarily have the same goals and ideals that other company's have, and it's their right to be that way.
They aren't bound by the same rules -it's what made producing this device possible in the first place!!! (hello?)

Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed.
If anything DOES come, be grateful -VERY grateful, and try to work with these folks.
The fact that they've responded in any way is encouraging, no need to mess that up.

If that doesn't work for you then be more careful buying your toys next time. It's that simple.

Righteous indignation is severely misplaced here.
strider_mt2k

Postby Bingo83 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:31 pm

The issue can be negated by amending the button layout layout in each of the emulators. Craigix has said he is in contact with Dingoo every few days and they are helping him to get things going. I am sure we will see the results of this soon enough, its still a new device so a bit more patience may be required. Its looking like a proper scene will develop which is great news for everyone who owns one.
Bingo83

Next

Return to A320 hardware