Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

solar panel mod[tutorial w/ pics comming 6-6-09]

All topics/questions about A320 hardware

Moderator: Moderators

solar panel mod[tutorial w/ pics comming 6-6-09]

Postby emusan on Sun May 24, 2009 11:29 pm

DISCLAIMER: I have not tested or tried this in any way and I therefore give no guarantee that this will work in anyway. If this makes your battery explode, or breaks your Dingoo it is NOT my fault, and you can only blame YOURSELF.

That said, I'm pretty sure that this will work, but I recommend waiting for me to try it first. Depending on which solar panel you use, it could take up to 24 hours to charge with direct sunlight, so this probably isn't the best option to charge, but I'm going camping soon, so I'll be using it a lot then.

Original concept and idea from: http://www.instructables.com/id/Make_a_ ... to_Rechar/ . I have just modified it to work with the dingoo. I know that there is a newer instructable on a solar powered ds, but it requires soldering to the battery, which I didn't want to have possible newbies trying on their brand new Dingoo(no offense meant by that).

Materials: Two solar panel options depending on whether or not you care about a little solar panel hanging over the side:

Panel option 1(about 1mm overhang on each side(left and right, not top and bottom)):
1 x http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17441

Panel option 2(no overhang, slower charging and requires 5V regulator, probably much slower charging):
1 x http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12988
1 x 5v regulator (available here or here(cheaper))

For both options:
1 x diode (any should work)(available here or here(cheaper, buy 1 pack of 20)

some wire, thinner the better

some scotch tape(not necessary, but makes it look nice)

some heat shrink tubing(not necessary, but makes it all look pretty)

something that has a mini-USB type B cable(the same one Dingoo uses to charge)(I'm using this, and it comes with an extra wall adapter too :))

Tools:

soldering iron

multimeter(not necessary, but helps A LOT)

wire stripper/cutter

hot glue gun with glue(not necessary, but can make it look nice)

Steps(untested as of writing, might not work too well):

1. Solder the diode to the + side of the solar panel so that the white line on the diode is facing away from where you solder it. Glue the diode to the panel(if you want).

2. Solder a wire to the end of the diode and another to the - side of the solar panel.

3. If you have a multimeter, now is a good time to check to make sure everything works, and that you can get a good charge in the sun. You can also see how many milliamps you get, do some math, and figure out about how long it will take to charge(should be about 7 times longer with solar panel option #1), normal charge has about 700mA current.

4. Cut off the part of the cable that has the mini-USB end(the closer to the end the better, but not too close). Solder the + wire from the solar panel to the red wire of the USB, and the - wire of the solar panel to the black wire of the USB. Put some heat shrink on the whole thing to make it look nice.

5. If you want, attach the solar panel to the Dingoo using glue, tape(not too good), or something similar(I'll be using Velcro tape, so I can remove it and put a stand on the back when I want).

6. YOUR DONE!!! Now when you go outside, just hook up your solar panel(plug it in), and you should start charging(depending on sunlight). if you want to connect to your computer, or wall adapter, just unhook your solar panel, take it off(if possible), and plug in the computer cable.

AGAIN, I have NOT tried this yet, and I give no guarantee that it will even remotely work.

If you like the tutorial, please post here, also if you decide to try it out, post your pics, videos, etc. here.
emusan

Re: solar panel mod[tutorial w/ pics comming 6-6-09]

Postby knk on Mon May 25, 2009 9:40 am

sounds good but i dont have the balls for it =p. how about doing the same thing but via usb? minimizes the risk heaps, but not as convenient. Probably alot more documentation on it though.
knk

Postby eule on Mon May 25, 2009 12:00 pm

From what i understand, it´s already done with USB. Sounds like a good idea. :geek:
Anonymous said: is a fake.
Tobias said: it seems to run very slow ...so it could be real ...
Eläkeläiset - Humppa rules!
eule

Postby emusan on Mon May 25, 2009 1:50 pm

Yeah, I tried to make it so you wouldn't even have to open up your Dingoo, you just connect the solar panel to a mini-USB. If you really wanted to you could solder directly to the battery, but that requires making holes, and other stuff I don't really want to do.

EDIT: I looked on dingoo-scene today, and lo and behold I'm famous!!! link :).
emusan

Postby snezzle on Mon May 25, 2009 2:38 pm

All this effort instead of just buying a £5 solar charger... i got 2 off ebay 1 for £5 which is the best and can charge a psp on 7 hour charge and another which is crap and cost me £7, which is still probly better than what you could make unless the panels your using are very large and high quality.
a320 and x760+ download database, fast downloads

http://x760.uuuq.com/uploader/
snezzle

Postby emusan on Mon May 25, 2009 2:47 pm

snezzle wrote:All this effort instead of just buying a £5 solar charger... i got 2 off ebay 1 for £5 which is the best and can charge a psp on 7 hour charge and another which is crap and cost me £7, which is still probly better than what you could make unless the panels your using are very large and high quality.

How large is the solar panel for those though? the point of this is to have one that you can stick on the back(if you want). Also, at least in my opinion, doing something yourself is a lot more gratifying than purchasing something like that off ebay.
emusan

Postby snezzle on Mon May 25, 2009 2:57 pm

emusan wrote:
snezzle wrote:All this effort instead of just buying a £5 solar charger... i got 2 off ebay 1 for £5 which is the best and can charge a psp on 7 hour charge and another which is crap and cost me £7, which is still probly better than what you could make unless the panels your using are very large and high quality.

How large is the solar panel for those though? the point of this is to have one that you can stick on the back(if you want). Also, at least in my opinion, doing something yourself is a lot more gratifying than purchasing something like that off ebay.

What exactly do you find gratifying about wasting time creating something that will never be able to charge the device your creating it for, it could not generate enough charge... if you left it there all week it would NEVER reach full charge, sorry if you think im being a d**k but im telling the truth.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... JESWI9NDNG

Thats the one i own accept mines black and i got it off ebay for £5, it doesnt come with the mini usb connection to charge an a320/x760+ but the other charger i have came with 2 of them so its fine.

The dual solar boards are high quality converting more than 15% of the solar energy that hits them, if you got two of these you would never have to use a plug to charge your a320 again.... untill summers over heh.

snezzle

Postby emusan on Mon May 25, 2009 3:26 pm

what kind of mA does you solar panel put out? If the normal charger charges the Dingoo in 2.5 hours, than using my solar panel, it should only take about 10 hours.

I'm fine with you posting an alternate idea, but you don't have to take a sh*t on all the others just because you *think* that it might not charge as fast as yours. Neither of these solar panels have been tested by me or anyone else here. You have no idea whether or not they will output more or less power. It doesn't matter what it states on the product page, that can vary based on many factors.
Last edited by emusan on Mon May 25, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emusan

Postby snezzle on Mon May 25, 2009 3:46 pm

emusan wrote:what kind of mAH does you solar panel put out? If the normal charger charges the Dingoo in 2.5 hours, than using my solar panel, it should only take about 10 hours.

I'm fine with you posting an alternate idea, but you don't have to take a sh*t on all the others just because you *think* that it might not charge as fast as yours. Neither of these solar panels have been tested by me or anyone else here. You have no idea whether or not they will output more or less power. It doesn't matter what it states on the product page, that can vary based on many factors.

1800mAH

Yours wont work because its charging directly into the dingoo battery... this wont work, and i do know what will happen not only have i tried something like this before with my gizmondo console a few years ago but..... its simple logic a panel that can fit on the a320 cannot possibly generate enough charge to directly charge up the a320. whats your doing is creating a trickle charger....

Mine are charging in sunlight for 7 hours and charging its own battery and then charging my device from the solar chargers battery, this is what your not understanding.... you want to ignore what iv told you then... ok GL&HF.

snezzle

Postby eule on Mon May 25, 2009 6:31 pm

What´s the difference between charging the Dingoo-battery and charging the battery of your solar charger?
Also i think, if it´s nicely done, no sharp corners and stuff, with powerful solar panels, it would be much better than your 5 Pound ebay charger.
Anonymous said: is a fake.
Tobias said: it seems to run very slow ...so it could be real ...
Eläkeläiset - Humppa rules!
eule

Next

Return to A320 hardware