Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Question about battery

All topics/questions about A320 hardware

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Question about battery

Postby Link on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:02 am

I am not talking about getting 7 hours of gameplay, I'm talking 5000-10000 partial charges vs the 1000 empty-full charges you are suggesting.

If this were a NiCd or NiMH You would be correct. LiIon batts aren't the same.

Sorry to derail this.

Link
Link

Postby jasha on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:19 am

While they wont deteriorate when doing that, you still need to discharge and fully charge once in a while - otherwise the charging circuit wont read the capacity correctly, and hence you wont get a full charge. Same as a mobile phone.
jasha

Postby emusan on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:12 pm

why would the circuit not read it correctly?
emusan

Postby jasha on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:25 am

short charging/discharging doesnt provide the periodic calibration the system needs. Thats why you will get it showing as fully charged even when it's not actually there. I guess it's more prevalent with mobile phones (showing full charge, but not lasting all that long), and you can always check the actual battery state in the hidden menu, so it's not really a big problem. If you fully charge and discharge once in every 30 charges or so it will stop that happening. Not so much a battery problem, more a hardware flaw, but like I said, it's not going to affect the battery lifespan tremendously.
jasha

Postby emusan on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:49 pm

not really, because all you need to do is fully discharge and it will recalibrate itself(at least the circuits I use do that, maybe Dingoo doesn't, but I don't know why they wouldn't). So if it gets off, you just fully discharge and it will go back to normal.
emusan

Postby jasha on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:40 pm

isnt that just what I said?
jasha

Postby emusan on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:44 pm

sort of, but you said once every 30 or so, for my batteries(using them in robots and other projects), they will lose the amount they are charged to over time(after many charges), but all I have to do is fully drain them once and they are just like new, so I guess what I'm saying is it doesn't need to be every 30 or so, you could go 1000, then notice it getting less charge, then fully discharging. I notice now that its kind of a small point to argue, I didn't fully understand what you said the first time.
emusan

Postby Vmurp on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:00 am

jasha wrote:no, the exact opposite really - if you constantly top it up rather than letting it run out it will gradually decrease the maximum charge it will take. It's best to run it flat and fully recharge (as with most batteries)

No, actually, that was incorrect. You're thinking of NiCad batteries. Link was correct. Lithium Ion batteries have no memory, so it's not necessary to "deep-cycle" them. In fact, it's actually bad for them.

Quote take from the Wikipedia:
"Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ('deep-cycled')"

You can read the full article on this page...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_io ... ttery_life
Vmurp

Postby Vmurp on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:08 am

jasha wrote:While they wont deteriorate when doing that, you still need to discharge and fully charge once in a while - otherwise the charging circuit wont read the capacity correctly,

Oops! sorry about my last post. I totally missed the second page in this thread :) Yes, this part is true. You do need to deep-cycle them occasionally (about every 30 charges), to recalibrate the meter. But the general rule is not to do that.
Vmurp

Postby slick0n3 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:27 am

I usually just do partial for the most part and then once in a while (usually after a couple months or a year) I'll let it die. Then charge it up again to full and continue on with the partial charges. Seems to work fine for me. Best of both worlds.
slick0n3

Highscores: 18

Previous

Return to A320 hardware