Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Newbie themer here!

Firmwares, themes and software hacks go here

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie themer here!

Postby percivalrhys on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:11 am

Hello fellow Dingoo enthusiasts! Glad to have happened upon a board such as this one, and I hope that you will welcome me with open arms and sage advice.

Since receiving my Dingoo (about a week ago today), I've wanted nothing more than to create a Metroid based theme using mostly sprites from Super Metroid (personal favorite game of all time). It took me awhile, but I finally got the custom firmware on there. I've now started creating the icons, but run into a slight hitch, and am hoping one of you may know what to do. I renamed and overwrote some of the files in the "mainface" folder, but when I turned my Dingoo on, there was no difference in the icons. I tried resetting it, turning it on and off, trying theme 1, 2, 3, & 4, and I held 'down' to go through the "Upgrading Firmware" screen, but no dice. Do I have to reflash the firmware in order to see the changes, or is there a more simple solution?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
percivalrhys

Re: Newbie themer here!

Postby Bob on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Typically if turning it off/on doesn't work, pressing the reset pin on the side usually does the trick. Have you tried that?
Bob

Postby percivalrhys on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:21 pm

Already tried the reset button, but still no dice. The weird thing is that even though I deleted the original icons and replaced them with the new ones, the icon is still the same old icon.
percivalrhys

Postby Wiredbomb0 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:32 pm

Have you copied the files into the appropriate folders? Some people can put them into the wrong directory, leaving the original ones their and having the new ones in a folder, which isn't used by the Dingoo.
Wiredbomb0

Postby percivalrhys on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:11 pm

Ok, so I was originally working on the animation sequence for the different submenus (3d game, roms folder, etc.), but after trying everything and not having the new icons show up, I thought I'd try messing around with the "a" folder a bit. After switching up some icons, i reset it, and the new icons were showing up and working just fine. So it seems to just be the icons in the "mainface" folder that are giving me problems. Same sizes, same file format, but still nothing.

P.S. Thanks for all the advice so far, keep it comin'!
percivalrhys

Postby L[one]R on Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:14 am

Working on a theme right now too, but not planning to change mainface icons for now (although replacing mainface icons with ones from different themes went without a problem. They always updated just fine).
I did notice this though:
Even though folders "a", "b", "c", and "d" each contain menu icons (like music, games, radio, not the mainface icons) - Dingoo only uses icons from "a" folder. Odd.
Need a life. Looking for donors.
L[one]R

Return to Firmware/Themes/Hacks