Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

My Rubido game running in the S2D engine ...

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

My Rubido game running in the S2D engine ...

Postby joyrider on Sun May 03, 2009 4:34 pm

Hey guys,

I just bought a dingoo a320, while waiting for it to arrive i have been playing a little with the S2D engine SDK.
I took one of my gp2x games (rubido) which was writen for sdl and changed everything so that it doesn't use SDL anymore but runs using the S2D engine. I got everything working (in windows) except for writing text to the screen. (haven't figured out how to do that yet with the sdk).
I haven't been able to test it out on the real device yet, but it should arrive sometime this week (only ordered it last week). Anyway i made a little video showing what i have of the game and uploaded it to youtube. (the video quality is a bit bad though).

here it is :

Link

cheers
willems davy
aka joyrider
joyrider

Re: My Rubido game running in the S2D engine ...

Postby Bingo83 on Sun May 03, 2009 4:45 pm

Welcome to the forums. Good to see some homebrew being developed on the A320. Shame you dont have a unit to test it out officially. I am sure there a re more than a few members here who could test a beta should you wish to release it.
Bingo83

Postby joyrider on Sun May 03, 2009 6:09 pm

I think i should wait for my device to arrive before i release it, since i don't actually know if and how it would run on the device. I already compiled an .app file but i don't know if the resources like the .s3dtex and sound files should be placed along side the .app file or that it somehow needs to be embedded in the .app file itself. It seems the native games do the last thing but i'm uncertain how this should be done.

I also haven't figured out how to actually write text to the screen so it still needs a bit of work.
joyrider

Postby Wiredbomb0 on Sun May 03, 2009 10:20 pm

I just wanted to know, cause you got the S2DSDK up and running, what exactly does it look like? Is it a seperate program with a gui and all, or is like just a textbox where you can put code into and then compile it?
Wiredbomb0

Postby joyrider on Sun May 03, 2009 10:53 pm

The SDK i'm using is the cygwin version (i'm running windows). It comes with the gnu mips compiler (mipseltools) so you basicly only have the compiler / linker so no ide. Since the s2d engine library is a .lib file you need some microsoft compiler to get it to work (in windows). However you can get the free microsoft visual c++ 2008 compiler and use that as your ide that's what i'm doing currently for the windows version.

For compiling for the dingo itself and creating the .app file to use on it you will need to use the cygwin environment (so not the MS VC++ ide).
I basicly use the Makefile and batch files from the booblepop example. You don't need to change anything just place your .cpp files in the correct directories and the make file does the rest. Since i don't have my dingoo yet i can't tell if this works but since it already compiles / links and generates a .app file it should work. i'll know more once i have my dingoo and can test it out on the actuall device.

about the code part. there is no drag and drop interface if that is what you ment, you have to write everything yourself. You can actually write your code in notepad if you'd like but i think a MS compiler is still needed if you want to create a running version in windows (because of the .lib file) and i couldn't get the linker to use the .lib file
joyrider

Postby Wiredbomb0 on Mon May 04, 2009 6:54 am

Would:

Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
www.microsoft.com/express/vc/

Work for me?
Wiredbomb0

Postby snezzle on Mon May 04, 2009 3:21 pm

Wiredbomb0 wrote:Would:

Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
www.microsoft.com/express/vc/

Work for me?

yeah.
a320 and x760+ download database, fast downloads

http://x760.uuuq.com/uploader/
snezzle

Return to Homebrew