Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

How long til Dingux is easier?

Firmwares, themes and software hacks go here

Moderator: Moderators

How long til Dingux is easier?

Postby Link on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:22 am

I'm hoping to just flash a Dingux firmware into the Dingoo & be able to drag n drop programs onto the SD card like the GP2X, with FAT32 with Windows or a Mac.

Would like a menu obviously as well. Can't make this happen myself cuz I'm not a very good programmer.

Will this ever happen?

Or am I asking for too much?

Link
Link

Re: How long til Dingux is easier?

Postby emusan on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:52 am

As long as you have a Linux computer to format the memory card you could create the right partitions(EXT3 for the OS and FAT32 to access it from Windows), after that you should be able to do everything in Windows. This is what I am currently doing, as well as some others thanks to vifm and a few other things from Ainu.

If you aren't running Linux, download or purchase a Live CD, you don't need to install anything and you can still format your SD card. You could also use what Ainu used(I can't remember what it is now, just look at his posts).

If your too afraid of Linux to do any of this(you really shouldn't be, its not hard at all), then I might start selling some miniSD's with Linux pre-installed, PM me for more info.
emusan

Postby Link on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:27 am

Emusan,

After watching the new videos, I have to agree that a frontend is needed.

I want to launch ROMS from a menu not a command line.

I respect your helping people out, but I still find the current solution as unacceptable in regards to a semi normal joe like myself.

Now if you had Gmenu with the ability for me to drag in a MAME4All folder (wishful thinking), then you'd be in business.

Cheers

Link
Link

Postby Fennster on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:41 am

I'm with Link on this one.
Fennster

Postby modis on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:21 am

First, I want to say that it's great to see how dingux has progressed from being connected to a computer to now running solo. The progress is great to see and I'd like to thank all of those involved in making it possible.

That said, I haven't had a dingoo since dualboot launched, but I have never been a command line person. I can do a few basic things here and there as long as complete instructions are provided. I wont try dingux until there is a GUI and the process becomes slightly easier. Again, I do appreciate the work done (I've donated euros to booboo), but require something a little more user friendly.

I'd like to know about anyone working on a GUI interface and any progress being made there.

So, what link said +1
modis

Postby emusan on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:44 am

Ainu has already ported vifm to Dingoo which is a minimal GUI, you can execute apps, play music, etc.(I don't think that movies working in Dingux yet). You can also copy files and most of the other functions of the Dingoo firmware browser. Its not the best looking, but it works just fine for everything you would need to do.

I was going to package that on the memory card(with Ainu's permission of course), with a few scripts so it would work just like any other GUI, just without the custimization and amazing looks.

But I can understand if you don't want them, Dingux is still in its infancy, but if you wanted to get started right away, you would either have to buy pre-formatted, or format yourself(its really not that hard if you are even somewhat good with computers).
emusan

Postby Morlac on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:31 pm

Gotta go with what link said, too. I'm a reasonably adept user, but I don't have linux and don't have experience using it. I understand the idea behind Live CDs. Maybe I'll try it once the other issues folks are talking about have moved forward -- i.e. more of a GUI and more things to do with the dual boot system itself. At the moment, what few non-work hours I have, I'd rather be actually gaming than trying to troubleshoot/install tech stuff...
Morlac

Postby Link on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:23 pm

Will FAT32 only rootfs in BooBoo's most recent blog post mean we won't have to split the SD cArd into 3 partitions?

I'm thinking about following the videos to install Dingux but wonder if this update will eliminate some hurdles and allow the rootfs to be copied onto the SD card from windows without having to install Linux, ubuntu, etc.

Thoughts on this? Please! Want to play MAME badly!

Thanks!

Link
Link

Postby PolloLoco on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:42 pm

I hope that's what Booboo's blog meant. I bought a Dingoo primarily for MAME - so I'm eager to try it out. But since I don't have a linux pc right now, I haven't been able to set up the memory card.
PolloLoco

Postby Link on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:28 pm

I asked this ? Over at Dingux.com & BooBoo said the EXT2/3 partition will no longer be needed & it will support OSX/WIN transfers to the SD cards FAT32!

Can't wait for this release which should also take care of the MAME bug as well.

At this point I could format my SD & use the VM with Ubuntu, I would feel comfortable doing it, but why waste the time if won't be needed or supported.

Waiting patiently!
Link

Next

Return to Firmware/Themes/Hacks