Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Fallout theme!

Firmwares, themes and software hacks go here

Moderator: Moderators

Fallout theme!

Postby Eeckgoar on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:38 am

res.rar
resources pack
(2.78 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
Pleasant day to everyone! Today I'm finished my first dingoo theme and want to share it with you. I changed icons, walpaper, battery charging animation, all interface gamma (that was mosy boring part), even fonts (that was most difficult part and boring too). Looks quite nice, but if you got any ideas about how to get it better, I urgently listen. One small ask - please support your ideas with "how to do it" tutorials, because I'm totally noob in graphic design and did the whole theme in GIMP with a lot of mistakes and bad tries.

Also I've got a logon/logoff wallpapers, but don't know how to insert them. Is it nessesary to totally reboot the firmware to apply change of starting screen? Please help me! In my turn, I can explain how to change fonts effectively.

I hope you will enjoy my theme. Greetz from Russia! Buy more dingoos!

To install - unpack the archives anyplace on the PC and the replace folders in system/fonts and system/res with mine. Good luck!
Attachments
font.rar
fonts pack
(2.28 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
Last edited by Eeckgoar on Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eeckgoar

Re: Fallout boy theme!

Postby eule on Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:32 am

to change the log on/off wallpapers, you can use hxftool. :)
Anonymous said: is a fake.
Tobias said: it seems to run very slow ...so it could be real ...
Eläkeläiset - Humppa rules!
eule

Postby Eeckgoar on Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:40 am

When I upgrade the modded hxf that goes with the custom firmvare on it says 'same version" and don't changes anything
Eeckgoar

Postby Bob on Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:05 pm

I'm not really sure how to change the boot screen, I'm guessing it takes a little knowledge with hfxtool (which I don't have so I can't help you). But I REALLY love to know how you changed the fonts. I've got a Super Mario Bros. 3 theme and I'd love to change the font to this really retro looking font if I could. I'm downloading your pack to comment and criticize so you should download my new theme and do the same!
Bob

Postby Bob on Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:51 pm

Haha, when I heard "Fallout Boy" I thought you meant the band . . . I guess this is from that PS3 game? I've never played it, but nonetheless, I'll critique your stuff.

Coherence - 9/10

For the most part all of the images "stick" together. I can definitely tell all of the elements go back to the central theme, so that's good. Y'know, since it's a THEME and all. Good job.

Wallpapers - 7/10

I'm guessing that you want something that's coherent to the theme, but not distracting from the icons, so you did that. My only problem is that everything is so . . . brown. I understand that you want to keep it in that retro style, but it comes off as a little bland for me. I also noticed that you only included one wallpaper, one USB screen, etc . . . if you're ambitious enough you have the capabilities of putring a different wallpaper and USB screen in each of the "A, B, C, and D" directories and that's what the dingoo will use when you select the appropriate "theme number" within the dingoo.

USB Screen - 6/10

This is your opportunity to get as creative as you want. The USB screen isn't serving as a backdrop for anything . . . it IS the central image that warrants the viewer's attention! I was a little disappointed when it was the same backdrop as the wallpaper, only you stuck a different icon on it. If you go back and retry, I'd recommend doing a completely different color-scheme and maybe even putting the phrase "CONNECTED" or something like that. If there's a line from the video game where you could stick that word in and include it in the screen, that might be cool.

Charge Screen - 7/10

The Charge Screen is simple, yet effective. You can obviously tell it's a battery and that it filling up gradually signifies that it is charging. But again, since this is your time to shine as far as creativity goes, I feel you could have done a little more. Don't really know what to advise to do since I've never played the game, but just something that still follows the Fallout theme, but looks DIFFERENT than the rest of the Fallout theme. Does that make sense?

Buttons - 9/10

The main interface buttons (i.e. Game Center, Music Hall, etc.) all look good to me. I see that you made the _big images grow larger as there highlighted, so I'm glad to see you were able to differentiate from the _small images and the _big images. To further accentuate it, I might try making the _big images a slightly different color or making the _small images more transparent. You could possibly consider putting the images on top of a pre-made button but what you have looks fine too. I can also see a small square around each of the icons, as if you didn't make everything but the image transparent. If you're going to go with just using the image (no button) as the icon, you'll need to get rid of the dark stuff around the image so that blends perfectly with the wallpaper. There are several ways to do that within GIMP if you need help, so just ask.

Now, the sub-interface buttons (i.e. Apps, Emulators, etc.) are intriguing. Are these the buttons that were on the dingoo BEFORE the custom firmware upgrade? I kinda like these better than the new ones. But I see you changed the color of those to match your theme, so that's good. There is a small problem with the "glowing animation" around the sub-interface icons though. It looks like there might be one frame missing toward the end of the animation because it just stops . . . and then starts over. Not sure if you had anything to do with it, but just something to look into if you wanna perfect this little theme.

Font - ?/10

You said you changed the font but it looks exactly the same on mine . . .

Misc.

*The "folder" icons throughout the dingoo have the same problem as your main interface buttons . . . they all have a solid background against your wallpaper. Try putting the folder image on top of a transparent layer and sticking it back in. I think that would make it blend better.

*If you can think of anything to put there, you might want to consider changing the "loading" icon to something else. Not that it looks bad, but again, that's one of those images where ONLY THAT is showing on the screen at the time, so be creative!

*I just learned something today! The "circle" image is used for the little button that tracks the file when playing recordings, music, and such! Didn't know that . . . I see you changed it to the Fallout boy head, so that's pretty cool. Good job!

Overall - 7/10

You have some good ideas here, but it's all so brown! If you need any help working with GIMP or maybe some ideas to bounce off of someone, just let me know. As far as I know, the community of theme creation is pretty small here, so we have to stick together! Sorry if this was wordy, just wanted to be thorough!
Bob

Postby Eeckgoar on Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:44 pm

I didn't installed your theme yet, but as far as I can see, your theming skills are much more superior than mine. You did all the icons and wallpapers, beatiful charging screen all by yourself (you did, did you?) I just took all the graphics from the Fallout Iphone theme. The litle work that I have done was to paint interface in acid neon green color to match the icons. And, yes I've changed fonts. It is difficult and unfavorable work (at least for me)
Here what I've done:
1) I googled "bitmap fonts" (First I've tried to find .bmf files, but in vain - very few that I found were uncompatible with dingoo)
2) I find a beatiful site: http://www.dafont.com/bitmap.php - a lots of beatiful fonts but they all in .fon and .tiff formats.
3) I find this converter: http://rapidshare.com/files/122199182/BMFFontGen.zip.html too bad it's all on chinese. Luckily, every button has english shortcut letter.
4) So, you choose the font you like from the site. Tip: carefull watch for letters borders, they must be equal for all letters. In example - "i"'s must have free spaces on the left and on the right so if you tipe "iiiii" it must look more like "i i i i i i i". Hope you understand what I try to say.... Okay - M39 Squarefuture (look at he site) font is acceptable, Bit Low font is bad. Also letter "m" must be no wider than "n" and so on. That's the only restriction, file extension doesn't matter. Download file (or two, because there is two types of font in Dingoo - big and small)
5)Setup this fonts in windows. I live in Russia an don't know english equivalents for system menus, but i try: in Win XP go to the control panel and choose "fonts". Folder with fonts inside will appear. Just drug and drop your downloaded font files in this folder and they'll be installed. Whew....
6)Interesting part: open converter (bmfgen.exe). In first list (letter "T") choose "ASCII"
Letter "C" - testing example of text;
"G" - generate example automatically;
"N" - name of the RESULTING .bmf file;
"B" - manually locate the resulting file. Now, piece of information - english dingoo font files are: ASC_20x10.bmf (big one) ASC_16x8.bmf (small one)
90% you will not succed with your font from the first time. So, to make faster the process of endless tries, I recommend to locate the resulting file right in the place of original dingoo file (before that don't forget to save original files on PC) . After another try, you can just unplug your dingoo and watch results of your work.
"F" - list of available fonts. If you previously installed the fonts they will be in this list. Don' try system fonts - non bitmap fonts, except few, don' look good on dingoo.
"W" and "H" - width and heigth of the resulting font - that is your field of experiments. I even can't tell you where to start - it depends on the font you choose. Type numbers,
press "start" ("O") unplug dingoo and look what you've got. In example if the font is too wide letters will look uncomplete on the right side. If the font is to thin there would be lines between letters. Low letters will be underlined and so on. Lot's of work. And very few fonts that I choose in concept of theme were finally fit . I don't completely satisfied with fonts of my theme (Big font is very big and the small is sci-fi not apocalyptic looking)
7) So may force be with you. Maybe you find a better ways and do new better themes for us.
P.S. My personal dream is "Sid Meyers Pirates" theme - but I can't find suitable icons. (((
Last edited by Eeckgoar on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eeckgoar

Re: Fallout theme!

Postby Eeckgoar on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:18 pm

Oh shish! How do I forgot aboy that band? Sorry, already corrected.
Bob, thank you for your crirtics. That's what I have to answer:
About different wallpapers and USB screen - I'm not that good in graphic editing so I just took Iphone theme wallpaper. But you're right maybe I will do something by myself. But I want to argue a little about importance of the USB screen - when the Dingoo is plugged, you don't have to look long on it's screen, you look on the PC screen )))) (Oh, my english is very bad. It is more like Rusish)))
About charging screen: again, stole from Iphone theme. Me bad. Your charging screen is very impressive. I wonder if I could do the same.
Buttons: Big - stolen,stolen,stolen... BUT! There were transparent PNG's, why are this square blends around them? Didn't understand how that come. Can you help me?
Small - don't know about "original" buttons - this is buttons from my custom firmware, just coloured them.
Font 0 did you download the second attached file, "fonts.rar". If you did, maybe something went wrong, maybe I should reload it...
Files icons - will work on it... Loading icon - what is it...
Thank you again for your great job. Maybe you can point me sites about theming with the GIMP. (maybe PSP theming, it looks similar) Some real noob tutorials, Idiots guides. I'm totaly incompetent? but eager to learn!
Eeckgoar

Postby Eeckgoar on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:20 pm

Oh, and one more thing - Fallout is a great PC role-playing game - first two parts are almost fantastic, you should try it!
Eeckgoar

Postby welshmouse on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:59 pm

Eeckgoar wrote:Oh, and one more thing - Fallout is a great PC role-playing game - first two parts are almost fantastic, you should try it!

all 3 fallout games are great. the only one to avoid is fallout tactics.
welshmouse

Postby trash on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:09 am

I can also see a small square around each of the icons, as if you didn't make everything but the image transparent.

I think this is a problem with the firmware and how it blends pngs. I have the same problem with other themes but its not always that obvious - for example you notice it barely on light/bright wallpapers but on dark ones it just looks bad (look at the default theme with the grey wallpaper). So the creator is not to blame here. He could have included a light wallpaper but for a post-apocalyptic theme it would be not that fitting.

@Eeckgoar: Since you gone with the pipboy, why didn't you make it look more like a pipboy-screen? Instead this brown wallpaper you could have use a similar green tv-screen backdrop. And the new font is just plain ugly in my opinion and way to big on the headings.
trash

Next

Return to Firmware/Themes/Hacks