Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Dual Boot - I must be stupid ...

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

Dual Boot - I must be stupid ...

Postby dingoo on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:59 am

Hi Guys

I have read all the posts over the forum, tried numerous ways of installing the dual boot, but am still coming up short. Also this post is not merely after one attempt, I have been at this for 4 days now ... follows all the tutorials and yet still must be doing something small wrong

FYI .. I am using the latest image / I am also using the rootfs from openhandlhelds and not booboo's

So once I have followed the instruction of creating the two partitions, uncompressing the rootfs in ubuntu, I am able to boot into linux ... I am met with a login prompt.

Now I try and take it one step further, putting in place the new inittab file from opendigoo (by following the instructions exactly) and I met met with three errors

1) It says cannot find "/proc/mount" - when I check in the proc directory there are no other directories
2) It says it cannot find /mnt/fat .. yet I created it and I can see it with nautilus (created it using sudo nautilus)
3) It says the .ash_history is read only (??)

My last issue is the login .. in the inittab it says login -f root. When confronted with the password I just press start (suppose to be enter key, and root should not have a password) but it always says incorrect login.

Any help appreciated, my head is red from banging it on my desk!
dingoo

Re: Dual Boot - I must be stupid ...

Postby dingoo on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:00 pm

*Bump*

Any help / comment / insult appreciated
dingoo

Postby quadomatic on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:14 pm

All of these problems look like ones you would get because of using the wrong rootfs...

Once I extracted the rootfs and got an error and ended up missing a lot of files. It's possible that the rootfs didn't download/extract properly.

Maybe format your ext3 partition again, download the rootfs again, and try extracting it again.
quadomatic

Postby ezelkow1 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:19 pm

Whenever extracting a rootfs do it with sudo, the programs and directories have to have root permissions, so you cant extract them, or place them on a device that has root permissions such as something automatically mounted, without doing it with sudo. I have a feeling alot of people who are having issues are doing this and not paying attention to all the errors being output after unpacking.
ezelkow1

Postby grz3siek on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:21 pm

There are 3 things to do to set up Dingux.
Once you unpack rootfs to your miniSD second partition, you should overwrite your /etc/inittab as shown here: http://opendingoo.com/wiki/index.php/Dingoo-Linux
Then you should create folder /mnt/fat (be sure to create it on miniSD :) ). Last thing is creating "history" file on the first partition of miniSD (where zImage is).

After filling history file with commands your Dingux should be fully ready for use.

There's probability that your Dingux system files ( /etc/* ) have wrong permissions. I've got similar on login problem when I unpacked rootfs in some weird way and few files had wrong permissions (some weren't executable as should be). Try to format your both partitions on miniSD and place zImage and rootfs there again.
grz3siek

Postby ezelkow1 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:27 pm

I do also notice that the person that wrote that has the wrong commands for unpacking the rootfs in both instances. The first one he gives -xvf, should be -xvzf, the second one has -xvjf, again it should be -xvzf since in both cases its a gzipped file, the -j will only work for bzip and so people are probably getting errors because if they copy and paste they will never get a good rootfs.

I just edited the page, so hopefully this can help some people out
ezelkow1

Postby quadomatic on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:08 am

ezelkow1: xvjf was my bad, I guess I forgot to change it (booboo's rootfs was a bzip). However, -xvf does work for gzipped files. I routinely use it to extract gzipped files. In fact, the gzip homepage says to use xvf.
quadomatic

Postby quadomatic on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:27 am

http://opendingoo.com/node/21

I uploaded my rootfs. Go ahead and give it a shot (make sure you format first!)
quadomatic

Postby dingoo on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:21 am

Firstly, thank you to all the the magnificient response ... I have some great ideas to try tonight!

quadomatic = Thank you for uploading your rootfs - hopefully mine was the first donation on your page :). PS Downloaded it here at work it downloaded as .tar.tar for some reason. I wanted to have a quick peek in it (curiosity ..) so tried to open it in winzip (which it could not). Renamed it to .tar.gz and it open sweetly!!!

ezelkow1/grz3siek = I do agree with you, I think my mistake is somewhere in the permissions spectrum. I did watch for errors after I extracted but truely did not see any. Again, I am an ubuntu user of 4 days now, so may explain why I am struggling. I did a "sudo nautilus" which I thought gave me root permission, then within that file manager window I double clicked on the tar file and extracted it to the EXT3 partition. This is based on an assumption that any program kicked off from the sudo nautilus, would have root permissions (I guess the old saying is true if you assume you make an ass out of u and me). Tonight I will try the command line to extract .. see if this makes a difference.

My approach to night will be

1) Reformat my sd - then extract quadomatic's rootfs, just to make 100% certain I can get it working

If I succeed in step 1) I will then reformat my sd, and try and follow the manual steps again (Its the only way one learns ... bleeding that is)

Thanks again for a terrific response
dingoo

Postby quadomatic on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:32 pm

Dingoo - thanks for the donation! Please post if you have any problems.
quadomatic

Next

Return to Homebrew