Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Does anybody juse Linux

All topics/questions about A320 hardware

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Does anybody juse Linux

Postby MeneerJansen on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:48 am

welshmouse wrote:have you tried hitting the hard reset button and holding B while the dingoo is connected via USB? in windows this disconnects it from usb mode and makes it show up just as a mass storage device. in theory Ubuntu should have no issues detecting it in that mode.

I'm having the same troubles w/ Linux. Above mentioned trich does noet work w/ Suse 10.3. When I use Ubuntu 9: only the SD card shows up....

WinXP: no troubles at all. But I too use Linux per default. I do not want to boot into WinXP every time I want to add a 512 kB Rom file to my Dingoo. Anybody know if there's a solution yet? :?:
MeneerJansen

Postby mrLogan on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:38 pm

In my experience a lot of issues can be caused by different interpretations of drive formats. Just because its says it's formatted FAT32 doesn't guarantee that every operating system which can mount FAT32 will mount it.

For example when I have a device from a manufacturer which shows up in windows and should in theory show up in linux but actually doesn't. I will :

a) note the format of the drive as reported by xp (generally FAT32)
b) backup the files on the drive
c) format the drive in xp
d) copy back the files
e) boot into linux and see if the problem has gone away (which it generally does)

I use ubuntu 9.04 and both my drives appear on the desktop just like they should.

p.s. A while back I had an 8gb SDHC in the dingoo and it got corrupted and was unmountable by either windows or linux, i couldn't even format it. So I put it in an LG phone and formatted it using that! A good tip if you ever get into a similar state.
mrLogan

Postby MeneerJansen on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:35 pm

mrLogan: Thank you very much for your clear explanation. And for the tip! I did what you said: backed up the files on the internal memory and reformatted it as fat32. Now both the SD and the internal show up in Ubuntu 9. However, they stay obscure in Suse 10.3. Very weird....

P.S. Is it me or is 'Buntu faster in transferring large amounts of data to Dingoo's SD than XP? Maybe my XP needs a USB2 driver update. But then again: why should I care. Hi hi. ;)
MeneerJansen

Postby mrLogan on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:58 pm

antivirus can have a very significant effect on data throughput and windows machine are generally running one and linux machines are generally not, perhaps that might account for it.
mrLogan

Previous

Return to A320 hardware