Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

CloneKeen (Commander Keen) port?

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

CloneKeen (Commander Keen) port?

Postby mrLogan on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:32 pm

****UPDATED*****
Screen issue fixed, sound working, controls working, quits without freezing but does anybody really care :~)

Not really my kind of game but if anyone want's it then let me know and I'll package and post it.
Last edited by mrLogan on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrLogan

Re: CloneKeen (Commander Keen) port (almost)

Postby MeneerJansen on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Unfortunately I cannot help you w/ the compiling/porting. But in this topic I stated that Commander Keen is one of my favorite old school games of all time. So thanks for trying: I hope you'll be successful in the end! :)
MeneerJansen

Postby CirothUngol on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:50 pm

There's a chance that it may be a 8bit/16bit Color/Graphics issue as discussed in this thread about porting Quake. It seems the Dingoo doesn't like, and has trouble displaying, 8bit Color/Graphics. Hopefully this could be of some help, as I'm and Old-Skool Commander Keen fan myself (I actually mailed off for the additional Non-Shareware episodes back in the day). Good Luck!
Last edited by CirothUngol on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odie, Odie, cha cha cha
Odie, Odie, cha cha cha
CirothUngol

Postby zear on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:50 pm

http://wade.hu/~zear/a320/clonekeenplus-alpha.tar.bz2 <- here's my early port of clonekeenplus.
Video output is fine, but the sound problem still remains.
zear

Postby mrLogan on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:14 pm

CirothUngol wrote:There's a chance that it may be a 8bit/16bit Color/Graphics issue as discussed in this thread about porting Quake. It seems the Dingoo doesn't like, and has trouble displaying, 8bit Color/Graphics. Hopefully this could be of some help, as I'm and Old-Skool Commander Keen fan myself (I actually mailed off for the additional Non-Shareware episodes back in the day). Good Luck!

Tried it and it worked. Thank you.
mrLogan

Postby MeneerJansen on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Wow! If it's playable I'm happy! (still waiting for my Dingoo in the mail..) I'm confident that the sound issues will be solved in due time. By the way, I played the original without sound most of the time back in the days. On my internship we didn't want our mentor to hear or see us "abuse" the PC's -nor waist our time- w/ games. Ha ha. And when I played games at my friends house I even played in black & white (or better: black & green). He had a (very old!) used PC from his dad. And even without sound and in B&W it was tons of more fun than all those "single floor" side scrollers from the NES. :)
MeneerJansen

Postby eule on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:05 pm

Hey zear, doesn´t work for me, all i get is a black screen. Have the older LCD if that helps...
Anonymous said: is a fake.
Tobias said: it seems to run very slow ...so it could be real ...
Eläkeläiset - Humppa rules!
eule

Postby zear on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:46 pm

Hmm.. it's an old port of mine. Could be for an older rootfs..
However I can always recompile it against the newest one, if someone wants to try it :)
zear

Postby mrLogan on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:49 pm

Good news, I got the SOUND working yeh! although it has gone from one extream to another, its now too loud! The sound is very retro all beeps and whistles. I have a couple more issues to sort. The status screen is not displaying properly and it freezes on exit and requires a reboot.

zear, did your first port freeze the menu on quiting? if so what was the cause?
mrLogan

Postby MeneerJansen on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:27 pm

Please keep up the good work Mr. Logan! :)
MeneerJansen

Next

Return to Homebrew