Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

what would make you buy the (possibly fictional) gemei a330?

All topics/questions about A320 hardware

Moderator: Moderators

what would make you buy the (possibly fictional) gemei a330?

Postby gibberoids on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:33 am

i may be wrong, but it seems to me that perhaps gemei are kicking themselves for selling the rights to the a320 to dingoo and are now at work trying to make something better of their own. in the case that some gemei developers read this forum, and assuming that they give a toss what the western world want from a handheld - lets let them know what we would like to see in the a330.

i think we'd all prefer if the chinese manufacturers could release a device and actually support it for a few years before releasing something new, but thats not up to us and it seems like there is something new around the corner anyway. i dont want it to seem like im bored of dingoo and am looking for the next new thing, i am perfectly happy with my dingoo and will continue to use it for as long as it lasts. but i am a gadget addict and cant help but feel mildly excited about this thing, there's no reason i cant own both!

here are my wishes:

- default o/s is based on linux! proprietary, closed source operating systems are no good.
- make it easy for developers to code for it. i dont know what this entails, but im sure they do!
- better shoulder buttons that wrap around the corner of the case (seems it already has that).
- a scratch resistant case and screen, without the need for a stick on protector.
- more colours than black and white. deep purple, orange, camo green etc. remember the neogeo colour?!

unlikely wishes:

- hardware 3d acceleration.
- touchscreen for easy use of opensource music apps / trackers.
- capable of n64 and/or ps1 emulation. i dont know how powerful this cc1600 chip is, probably nowhere near powerful enough.

a question: to get homebrew running on this, is it necessary for chinachip to release documentation for the CPU? if this is the case they i guess it's a non starter anyway.

so what would you like to see? how could they make this thing better than the rest? what would make you buy it? bear in mind that judging from the photos the hardware is at least partially decided already...
gibberoids

Re: what would make you buy the (possibly fictional) gemei a330?

Postby noproblem on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:09 pm

flat black or matte finish rather than the shine
noproblem

Postby Shred on Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:03 pm

My wishlist would be :

1) 100% Backwards compatibility with Dingoo A320, so Developers/Community doesn't get split.
2) Improved and larger shoulder buttons.
3) 6 face buttons for Streetfighter 2 etc and accurate Genesis/Megadrive emulation.
4) SDHC or Micro SDHC card slot. Mini-SD is a dead format.
5) A slightly larger screen - something like 3.5" Most of us who grew up in the 8-bit/16-bit era no longer have eyesight like we used to. :)
6) 64mb RAM for those larger MAME roms and other emulators.
7) 500-600 Mhz CPU to prevent Frameskip issues.
8) 2000+ mAH Battery (extra CPU speed, RAM, larger screen etc will drain current battery faster so a larger one is required)

I would happily pay a premium for a robust, open source handheld with all these features, maybe just under-cutting the prices of a GP32 Wiz.
Shred

Postby DukeMagus on Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:11 am

better than this only pandora...
DukeMagus

Postby snezzle on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:14 pm

default o/s is based on linux!

All chinese devices and mobile phones i have come across run linux haha a very crap version but linux neither the less, the mobile phones especially all run the same version just with minor code changes even those android rip offs run the same thing, the license for it is so cheap they can get about 500 copys of them for a $20 license.
a320 and x760+ download database, fast downloads

http://x760.uuuq.com/uploader/
snezzle

Postby DesertKoala on Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:17 am

Easy. USB 2.0 Hosting so we can attach proper USB peripherals such as:

USB Joystick
USB Keyboard
USB Mouse
USB Ethernet for Wireless B/G/N

That solves everything.
DesertKoala

Postby gibberoids on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:53 pm

im sure the wise amongst you will know (i didnt until A600 explained it) that the reason linux on the dingoo was possible is thanks to ingenic releasing documentation of the chip in the dingoo. apparently there is zero chance of chinachip doing the same, and therefore it will be almost impossible to get linux running on it. gemei are unlikely to release regular updates for their emulators and o/s, so you'd be stuck with what came on it. definitely a no go for me now, shame.
gibberoids

Postby Dan on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:53 am

A 320x240 screen would be nice compared to the Dingoo's 240x320.
Dan

Postby knk on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:32 pm

240x320 is not what the dingoo has. It'd be taller than it is wide.
knk

Postby gibberoids on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:11 pm

turn the dingoo 90 degrees and re-think your reply :P
gibberoids

Next

Return to A320 hardware