Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

What is LINUX?

Firmwares, themes and software hacks go here

Moderator: Moderators

What is LINUX?

Postby hobosapien on Mon May 25, 2009 4:54 pm

I have only just started to research Dingoo's and, when reading this forum i noticed that a few pople were tlking about linux and how it would make the Dingoo so much better.

I was just wondering what it was?

Cheers.
hobosapien

Re: What is LINUX?

Postby flaviobello on Mon May 25, 2009 5:02 pm

linux on dingoo will be in future an new firmware, using linux many things will come, emulators, media players, pdf readers, all kind of things dingoo can do, and is better to make an app using a language allready know to learning about dingoo original firmware
ImageImage
flaviobello

Postby siem on Mon May 25, 2009 5:10 pm

He is asking Linux in general I think.

Linux is an OS like windows and mac OS x, it controls the machine. You can see it as an translator between the machine (pc) and the program you work with.
OS= Operating System

Why is Linux on the Dingoo so important, because Linux is very very old already so many programmers can make programs on Linux so it's much easier to make games, emulators and programs on Linux for Dingoo then on the original Dingoo 'OS' because Linux translate it for you :)

Hope I've said it right and understandable for u ^^
siem

Postby hobosapien on Mon May 25, 2009 5:15 pm

oh, cheers.

That's cleared it up for me.

Any news on its release?
hobosapien

Postby martinax85 on Mon May 25, 2009 5:50 pm

Actually linux is NOT an OS, linux is just the kernel :) . But with the kernel ALONG with window manager and all the other stuff makes an OS :D !
martinax85

Postby siem on Mon May 25, 2009 6:48 pm

martinax85 wrote:Actually linux is NOT an OS, linux is just the kernel :) . But with the kernel ALONG with window manager and all the other stuff makes an OS :D !

Well, actually you're right, but I think nobody will understan it if you start with kernel :mrgreen:
siem

Postby ainu on Mon May 25, 2009 8:53 pm

I can copy files, I can delete files - I do an Operations => Linux in dingoo is Operation System))))
Dingoo Linux user & programmer from Russia
Sorry for my poor English
ainu

Postby emusan on Tue May 26, 2009 12:58 am

ainu wrote:I can copy files, I can delete files - I do an Operations => Linux in dingoo is Operation System))))

actually, Linux is still just a kernel, your running a WM and some other things(libraries mostly) on top of that.
emusan

Postby gabrielodi on Tue May 26, 2009 1:35 pm

Hey... Anyone that is using Linux right now, can you test any PDF reader?? :D
gabrielodi

Return to Firmware/Themes/Hacks