Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

There is no Linux in the Dingoo?

Firmwares, themes and software hacks go here

Moderator: Moderators

There is no Linux in the Dingoo?

Postby mewtwo on Mon May 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi,
I was a bit confused as wikipedia writes it's a Linux based handheld - and I was looking forward on borrowing some binaries for another device running Linux and using the same SoC. There the snes9x and VisualBoy Advance emulators from the Debian repositories are unplayable slow - your Native Software screenshots look pretty impressive, too, the best thing I've seen on the Skytone was DooM so far.
So if it's not linux that powers the A320, what is it? Did they really develop their own OS from scratch? I hoped it was possible to get some linux-mips binary out of those .app files :-/
There is a forum about the skytone too, btw.
mewtwo

Re: There is no Linux in the Dingoo?

Postby eule on Mon May 25, 2009 6:39 pm

I think i heard the OS was µcOS II or something like that.
Anonymous said: is a fake.
Tobias said: it seems to run very slow ...so it could be real ...
Eläkeläiset - Humppa rules!
eule

Postby muriani on Tue May 26, 2009 4:44 am

The ones from the Debian repos are likely generic MIPS and are probably NOT optimized at all for this SoC.
Linux *is* on the way for this, we'll probably see custom-compiled emulators soon, but I don't expect snes9x to be rather playable for awhile.
muriani

Postby mewtwo on Tue May 26, 2009 11:58 am

So which snes and GBA emulator is the Dingoo using?
mewtwo

Postby flatmush on Tue May 26, 2009 9:35 pm

There's not a whole lot of optimizing that can be done for this SoC, it pretty much is just a generic MIPS implementation. The only differences are that it has an 8-stage pipeline (longer than the classic 5) but that doesn't leave much to be optimized for.
The SIMD instruction set (XBurst) is pretty weak, and only provides speedups to some very specific DSP stuff (codecs mostly).
C99 samples without using s2dsdk | MineSweeper | AstroLander
For help with dingoo programming or just in general, join our IRC at irc://irc.freenode.net/#dingoo-a320
flatmush

Return to Firmware/Themes/Hacks