Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Suggestions for fellow "Themers"

Firmwares, themes and software hacks go here

Moderator: Moderators

Suggestions for fellow "Themers"

Postby Bob on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:05 pm

I'm not sure exactly who's modding this thread, but I have a few suggestions for those who create themes for the dingoo (like myself) and would like to share them with other users.

I've created two themes so far, one being a Super Mario Bros. 3 theme and the other a Sonic 3 + Knuckles theme. In both of my themes I have modified nearly EVERY aspect of the interface, save the sub-menu icons and maybe a few load screens. I've been downloading other themes to get a feel for what other users are doing, and it seems as though I'm the only one is modding the ENTIRE res directory - which is fine. I modify each of the a, b, c, and d directories, along with the extra folder and so on and so on. When I downloaded other theme packages onto my Dingoo, they looked great! However, all of the other elements of the previous theme were still showing up and what followed was an ugly cross-over of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Fullmetal Alchemist, lol.

So here are my suggestions to future themers:

1. If you are not going to modify the ENTIRE res directory, please use the original TeamDingoo firmware as your template.

2. Send the elements of the theme DIRECTLY to a zipped file. (i.e. Don't copy and paste the elements into a folder named [ex:] "Mario Theme" and THEN send that folder to a zipped file. Just send the "Font", "res", and anything else you have straight to a zipped file.

3. Instruct those who download it to simply extract the contents of the zipped file into the Dingoo's "system" folder, opting to replace the contents of the folder with the new theme.

This method will take care of a few problems I believe:

1) No more copying, pasting, renaming, etc. Just extract the contents (res, font, whatever else you include) and your done!

2) No more cross-over of themes. When users download your theme, they'll be downloading a COMPLETE theme and won't have leftovers of the previous theme still hanging around. If they switch themes within the dingoo, they'll most likely switch to the "neutral" theme provided by TeamDingoo.

3) It will inspire you guys to get more creative! There are many elements to modify within the Dingoo, so don't feel constrained to just changing "folder a" and some wallpapers. There are USB screens, Charge screens, Loading screens, buttons, sub-menu buttons, battery icons, etc . . . get creative!

If you have any comments or suggestions, I'm all ears. Happy theming!
Bob

Re: Suggestions for fellow "Themers"

Postby L[one]R on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:46 am

Nice suggestions, thx. I'll keep those in mind if I somehow stop being lazy and actually make a theme.
How come this is not a sticky yet?

edit: On the second thought - I'd like to disagree with "basing theme on default template". If you haven't changed radio or video player - why include default graphics for them? It will only confuse those who downloaded the theme - they won't have any idea what has been changed and what hasn't.
Need a life. Looking for donors.
L[one]R

Postby Bob on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:18 am

I encourage people to use the default template as a base so that people get an entire theme and not a crazy mixup of the new theme and old theme. At least when you use the base template, it's the new theme and the default. Otherwise, its the new theme plus whatever else you had before: Mario, Sonic, MegaMan, whatever.

On the other hand, if themers replace EVERYTHING within the res directory, there would be no mixup and it would be a total crossover from the old theme to the new theme, which is the ultimate goal I think.
Bob

Postby L[one]R on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:20 pm

Bob wrote:I encourage people to use the default template as a base so that people get an entire theme and not a crazy mixup of the new theme and old theme. At least when you use the base template, it's the new theme and the default. Otherwise, its the new theme plus whatever else you had before: Mario, Sonic, MegaMan, whatever.

On the other hand, if themers replace EVERYTHING within the res directory, there would be no mixup and it would be a total crossover from the old theme to the new theme, which is the ultimate goal I think.

I aggree with you on that. But in that case maybe thememakers should also list which folders contain new graphics, and which haven't changed at all? At least I would prefer that.
Need a life. Looking for donors.
L[one]R

Postby Bob on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:19 pm

You may be right about that. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of "themers" on this site, so there probably won't be a standard way to upload any way.
Bob

Return to Firmware/Themes/Hacks