Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

So I'm ready to buy a Dingoo...

All topics/questions about A320 hardware

Moderator: Moderators

So I'm ready to buy a Dingoo...

Postby ryanflucas on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:56 am

1.) Where should I buy it?
So far I've seen Chinavision (????) and ThinkGeek (dealt with them before). I'm seeing roughly a $20 difference between the msrp on both sites. ThinkGeek has a current free shipping deal for orders $75 or more using the promo code "shiny".

2.) Are there any newer models being released I should wait to buy instead?

3.) In regards to firmware flashing, anything I should note or be careful with? I've flashed Sony PSP units and I'm pretty tech savvy.

4.) Anything in general I should know about?

Mu major concern on this is the screen. I own a OneStation handheld and the screen itself is great, but the build around the screen is poor. I have since gotten dust inbetween the case lid and the lcd board below, which is very distracting. I don't plan on taking this with me many places, its not going to be in my pocket, probably wrapped up in a desk drawer when I'm not playing it.

Thanks! :D
ryanflucas

Re: So I'm ready to buy a Dingoo...

Postby welshmouse on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:45 am

1.) Where should I buy it?
So far I've seen Chinavision (????) and ThinkGeek (dealt with them before). I'm seeing roughly a $20 difference between the msrp on both sites. ThinkGeek has a current free shipping deal for orders $75 or more using the promo code "shiny".

Id recomend HKstore (http://www.superufo.com/product_html/Co ... White.html). it was the cheapest back when i ordered mine, and it arrived in two days. awesome.

2.) Are there any newer models being released I should wait to buy instead?

there are no models planned (or at least that we know of) to replace the A320. even if there were, these sorts of devices come about all the time, and rarely do they perform as well as the dingoo. id get an a320 if i were you, since its pretty awesome for the cost.
3.) In regards to firmware flashing, anything I should note or be careful with? I've flashed Sony PSP units and I'm pretty tech savvy.

nope, its pretty straightforward, plenty of threads regarding it. if youve flashed a PSP before you should have no problem.

4.) Anything in general I should know about?

just dont expect perfect performance, alot of people seem dissapointed with the dingoo. in reality its one of the best devices of its kind, especially for its price. it performs well, but until the community really begins to explore what its capable of, we wont have perfect software.
Mu major concern on this is the screen. I own a OneStation handheld and the screen itself is great, but the build around the screen is poor. I have since gotten dust inbetween the case lid and the lcd board below, which is very distracting. I don't plan on taking this with me many places, its not going to be in my pocket, probably wrapped up in a desk drawer when I'm not playing it.

the screen is completely filled over, so no gaps to collect dust, and it even has a brilliant screen protector over the top. the build quality in general of the dingoo is awesome.

all in all, its a great device and i have no reason at all not to recomend it to anyone.
welshmouse

Postby Harkins on Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:54 pm

I bought from ThinkGeek.com two days ago, mine should arrive tomorrow or day after (East Coast US, was shipped from New Jersey). If you check out http://retailmenot.com/name/thinkgeek.com there's always a ThinkGeek code to knock a few extra bucks off your order. You can only apply one of the cash discounts at once, but sometimes there's extra stuff (like I got the free mini screwdriver set).

I figured with weird international hardware it'd be worth a couple extra bucks to shop somewhere with really good customer service and a liberal return policy.
Harkins

Postby combinator on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:01 am

In terms of competition, there's the new GP2X Wiz, which is about twice the price, may be hard to get in stock for a while, but may overall have better support. It appears to emulate Mario Kart flawlessly, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4MO4mtRHHwIn terms of new models, there is a rumor of the A380, http://dingoo-scene.blogspot.com/2009/05/details-of-gemei-a380-emerge.html. But it's just a rumor.

(Full disclosure: My dingoo broke after what I consider to be mild use, and so far an RMA order has not happened, so I'm considering alternatives myself...)
combinator

Postby welshmouse on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:24 am

combinator wrote:In terms of competition, there's the new GP2X Wiz, which is about twice the price, may be hard to get in stock for a while, but may overall have better support. It appears to emulate Mario Kart flawlessly, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4MO4mtRHHwIn terms of new models, there is a rumor of the A380, http://dingoo-scene.blogspot.com/2009/05/details-of-gemei-a380-emerge.html. But it's just a rumor.

(Full disclosure: My dingoo broke after what I consider to be mild use, and so far an RMA order has not happened, so I'm considering alternatives myself...)

from what i can gather, the WIZ is a pretty bad choice. reviews have so far been quite negative, and it doesnt seem to be getting any wherfe near as much support as its predecessor. i think the best choice would be either a dingoo, or a pandora. depending on how much money you have.
welshmouse

Postby ChalkTrauma on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:16 am

I bought mine ( black ) from http://www.dealextreme.com and things didn't go too smoothly.. I actually bought 2, one for me and one for a friend.. They charged me for 2 and sent only one, my invoice listed on their site clearly says a quantity of 1 but double the price and my paypal invoice lists the correct quantity, so the mixup seems pretty well documented. I put in a customer service ticket, but that was Friday before the weekend, so I'll give them until tomorrow night to get back to me..

Other than that it arrived in perfect shape and I only paid $83 (USD) with shipping, so if they come through with the 2nd one I think it is a pretty good deal..

UPDATE: Just logged into my account and checked the status of the ticket, which lists it now as " Staff assigned - waiting for processing. " with a picture of the guy who is assigned to the problem.. meh.. I'm slightly more optimistic..

UPDATE ( 6/10/2209): Ticket was updated today, they are shipping me out the missing A320...
Last edited by ChalkTrauma on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'It is not over unknown seas but back over well-known years that your quest must go; back to the bright strange things of infancy and the quick sun-drenched glimpses of magic that old scenes brought to wide young eyes.'
ChalkTrauma

Postby centrlink on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:31 am

I have both the wiz and the dingoo.

Dingoo has better d-pad, and plays video better - but that's where dingoo's advantages end - I'd have to say Wiz is the better option over all, even at twice the price - mainly because of the awesome support for the device (already). The OLED screen on Wiz is also very impressive (playing galaga in the dark when I first got it and almost brought tears to my eyes :-), and the build quality is very high. And don't forget - Wiz has a touchscreen (which I hope is worked into Amiga emulation :-)

Picodrive plays megadrive perfectly, MAME is awesome (esp at overclock 800mhz :-), SNES is in its infancy yet already runs full speed with full transperencies at 700 mhz, PC Engine is great (Temper), SCUMMV has already been ported and is being worked on, Atari ST is already out - basically, expect absolutely tons of support - in the medium to long term, WIZ will have everything covered up to about PSX (PSX will probably be a stretch, but with overclock, it will hopefully work acceptably on a lot of games).

In summary, I have high hopes that dingoo over time will have perfect SNES and Megadrive, hopefully things like Amiga too - but if I had to pick one device, the Wiz would have to be the clear choice - but having both is great especially when the batteries run out on one of them :-)

Cheers
Simon
centrlink

Postby adamantibus on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:34 am

from what i can gather, the WIZ is a pretty bad choice. reviews have so far been quite negative, and it doesnt seem to be getting any wherfe near as much support as its predecessor. i think the best choice would be either a dingoo, or a pandora. depending on how much money you have.

So far i haven't read a single negative review of the WIZ (besides CraigX obviously biased video comparisons) and barely two weeks after its release the device has fully functional mame, pc-engine/pce CD, megadrive (with Sega CD support), nes, Snes (way, way better than the Dingoo one), atari-st, cps2, bosdox, and neo geo CD emulators plus dozens of games and homebrew applications and several ports (Quake, Rise of the Triad, Flashback...). I'd call that support...

As for the Pandora... it isn't even real yet. Keep on waiting and waiting...
adamantibus

Postby Vmurp on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:33 pm

adamantibus wrote:So far i haven't read a single negative review of the WIZ (besides CraigX obviously biased video comparisons)

Then we must be reading different forums. I originally wanted a Wiz, but then went with the Dingoo instead, based on the disappointment I was seeing in the Wiz forum. I saw more negative comments about the emulators than positive ones. But the two main issues that pushed me toward the Dingoo is:

1) the Wiz's touch screen has bulging issues and won't calibrate in those areas
2) the Wiz doesn't even have a GBA emulator for cryin' out loud! :::shudders:::

Also the SNES emulator stinks compared to the Dingoo's. All of my SNES roms play beautifully on my Dingoo (without overclocking).

-
Vmurp

Postby adamantibus on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:23 pm

1) the Wiz's touch screen has bulging issues and won't calibrate in those areas

The Dingoo has no touch screen at all. :?

2) the Wiz doesn't even have a GBA emulator

Not yet, it'll surely have one in time.

Also the SNES emulator stinks compared to the Dingoo's

You gotta be kidding me, man. I own a Wiz and a Dingoo and believe me (or watch videos on youtube) the snes emulator on the Wiz is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the Dingoo's. The Dingoo one is playable at best but with frameskip and with lots of games not working or doing it poorly.

Proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4MO4mtRHHw&feature=player_embedded

The only people who speaks badly of the Wiz is the people close to the Pandora project: it's its competition after all.
adamantibus

Next

Return to A320 hardware