Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Request for info on SNES9x

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

Request for info on SNES9x

Postby GreenSmurf on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:20 pm

From what I understand we are having some emulation limitations on SNES9x due to the version being used by Dingux.
Being that I am not familiar with Linux but do have a general idea of how things work I would like to get involved in making 1.51 a port to Dingux. I suppose a general explanation of how things work would be appreciated.

-B
Last edited by GreenSmurf on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenSmurf

Re: Request for info on SNES9x

Postby Hellsing1 on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi,

From what I understand the current SDL version is 1.39.

The PC version is at 1.5 (I think). We need someone to do a newer SDL version before it can be compiled and see if it works.
Hellsing1

Postby GreenSmurf on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:26 pm

Hellsing1 wrote:Hi,

From what I understand the current SDL version is 1.39.

The PC version is at 1.5 (I think). We need someone to do a newer SDL version before it can be compiled and see if it works.

Can Linux compile any coding language? From what I understand is that the source code for SNES9x is floating around somewhere.
GreenSmurf

Postby GreenSmurf on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:32 pm

It seems that there is some info on a newer port being worked on here:
http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3703
GreenSmurf

Postby Hellsing1 on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:39 pm

The Linux version sources of snes9x 1.51 are here.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/E ... 8364.shtml
Hellsing1

Postby GreenSmurf on Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:33 pm

Hellsing1 wrote:The Linux version sources of snes9x 1.51 are here.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/E ... 8364.shtml

Beautiful! Now what do I need to do to compile/port this to Dingux?
GreenSmurf

Postby darfgarf on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:04 pm

to just compile it, you'll need the dingux toolchain, to actually port it to work and be useful-all depends on how much of the sdl or whatever is unsupported, and how much x86 assembly there is in there etc

toolchain can be downloaded form th edingoo linux googlecode page
darfgarf

Postby GreenSmurf on Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:25 pm

darfgarf wrote:to just compile it, you'll need the dingux toolchain, to actually port it to work and be useful-all depends on how much of the sdl or whatever is unsupported, and how much x86 assembly there is in there etc

So, is it safe to presume that Linux has more capabilities for compiling that our Dingux due to software limitations?
GreenSmurf

Postby Haas on Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:22 pm

darfgarf wrote:to just compile it, you'll need the dingux toolchain, to actually port it to work and be useful-all depends on how much of the sdl or whatever is unsupported, and how much x86 assembly there is in there etc

You make it sound so easy? Is it really so easy or is it Linux easy so that you first need to know the basis and then can get it to work?
If it really that easy how much time would it take to learn to compile?
Haas

Postby ChaoticBob on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:18 am

Sorry but if you are asking questions like this you will probably be aiming a bit high for the moment. From what I can see of the sources, the approach I would take is to copy the X11 backend, as it seems to be the most current one. Then you need to remove all mentions of X from the code until you can get it to successfully compile and link without X11. Then you need to replace all the rendering, input and most everything else with SDL versions. This will be quite hard. You might want to try porting something simpler that already uses SDL first.

So is no-one working on snes9x at all? It seems people are still using the very first version that even still has a cursor at the top of the screen. If so, ScummVM is pretty usable at the moment, so I might have a look at getting 1.51 running.
ChaoticBob

Next

Return to Homebrew