Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Request: decent GB(C) emulator for native os

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

Request: decent GB(C) emulator for native os

Postby carlito on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:53 pm

Hi all,

I tried the goomba way for the legacy gameboy, and it works like a charm. I then tried the same with the gameboy color (with goomba color), but most games don't work properly. Can someone please make a decent port to the native os? The already available gbc.sim is kind of annoying with the sound thing and all..

Thanks!
carlito

Re: Request: decent GB(C) emulator for native os

Postby zugu on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:35 pm

It doesn't work like that. Emulating hardware is not something any programmer can do, as it requires a lot of knowledge, time and dedication. You can't just ask people to code an emulator in just a few days or week, unless you pay them. And even then, I'm sure it would take at least some months.

The correct question would have been: is anyone working on a GBC emulator for the native OS? I doubt that, since all the efforts right now are converging on Dingux and porting Linux emulators to this distribution. Linux is highly portable, modular, open and well documented. The native OS on the Dingoo is proprietary and undocumented, and it seems the manufacturer has no intention to open it. Obviously, reverse engineering it to code an emulator to replace the built-in one is much more difficult and time consuming than porting existing Linux GBC emulators to Dingux.

So have patience and, if you can afford, donate some money to the open projects that spawned around the Dingoo.

Cheers.
zugu

Postby Harteex on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:32 pm

zugu wrote:all the efforts right now are converging on Dingux and porting Linux emulators to this distribution.

That's a lie.

The native development is not dying, even if you wish it to.
Harteex

Postby geleka on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:40 pm

The French scene is developing only for Native OS, and Alexmaul want to port his DS emulators to Dingoo OS. And there some new games, so, the development for native OS is not dying.
geleka

Postby zear on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:43 pm

It will with the day dingux is be able to run on the NAND ;)
zear

Postby lordbla on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:00 am

There is really no need for fighting. We will see what future brings. For the moment, dingux is a perfect addition to the native OS and new programs for both operating systems are appreciated.
For what I can say, the dingoo-developer-community isn't that big, so we shouldn't fight each other. In the end, Linux will probably win, but that might be long after dingoo isn't shipping any more. This little device is already far more then I would expect from a 80$ pmp, so everything else is bonus (I'd be happy with just picodrive ;))
lordbla

Postby carlito on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:23 am

dudes.. entire source code bases are available for gb+gbc, it's just a matter of compiling. nothing to do with reverse engineering.. if sdlgnuboy wprks in linux, it should also work in native env. i hope someone ports it because i hate the 1000 different keymappings in linux programs. long live the dingoo and dngux, but let the dingux part get mature first.
carlito

Postby DukeMagus on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:36 am

oh well... there's the architecture thing, u can't simply compile anything to dingux without check the details
DukeMagus

Postby eule on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:50 am

Here is a gameboy emulator: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/din ... ,0,0,71,70
It´s not great, but it works. Didn´t test with GBC games, only Super Mario Land. ^^
Anonymous said: is a fake.
Tobias said: it seems to run very slow ...so it could be real ...
Eläkeläiset - Humppa rules!
eule

Postby carlito on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:43 am

i know this one. sound is crap like i told in my first post.

i guess i'll try downloading the gnuboy sources and the native sdk and se what it gives
carlito

Next

Return to Homebrew