Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Question before I purchase one of these?

All topics/questions about A320 hardware

Moderator: Moderators

Question before I purchase one of these?

Postby omgitsthepope on Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:02 am

Well I bet you have had these types of threads before, so I apologize in advance. I just have to research products like crazy before making the plunge (saves me a lot of money but I miss out on a lot).

But I have a few questions...

1. How durable is the screen? From what i've read the device seems to be quite sturdy. But do you need a screen protector? Do they make cases for this or do people just improvise? Any suggestions for a case?

2. I've read about how some of the emulators are not the best. But I'm mainly concerned with how the snes and genesis/megadrive emulation is. Will I be able to play Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart, and Super Mario World on the snes? Will I be able to play Gain Ground, Gunstar Heroes, Phantasy Star IV, Ristar, Road Rash, and streets of rage 1/2? I'm just curious of if the games are at least playable and not unbearable. I don't mind a graphical glitch here and there if it isn't extremely serious.

3. For you has the purchase been worth it?

Thanks in advance for all posts even if you can only answer one part of my inquiry. The product looks to have a lot of potential and I really like how much this thing can do in such a little device.
omgitsthepope

Re: Question before I purchase one of these?

Postby kamiyay on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:47 am

1. I have only had mine for a few days, but the device does seem very sturdy.
2. I don't know anything about the genesis (I've never had one, so I never really play it). However SNES goes like this. Super Metroid plays pretty great. Super Mario Kart will not work due to the FX chip requirements. The current emulator cannot handle this, but Snes9x in Dingux (a linux dual boot for the Dingoo) is showing promise. The development is still very early, but FX based games may work at some point. Since FX games don't work, Starfox and Super Mario RPG is out as well. However, Super Mario Kart does work if it is the GBA version. I'd highly suggest that. As for Super Mario World, it runs kind of slow and suffers the Y/B button issues. Apparently Snes9x in Dingux fixes this. However, I just play the GBA port and it works fine.

3. The purchase has been more than worth it. FM Radio, MP3s, Movies, and a crap ton of video games in my pocket? YES.
kamiyay

Postby omgitsthepope on Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:12 pm

kamiyay wrote:1. I have only had mine for a few days, but the device does seem very sturdy.
2. I don't know anything about the genesis (I've never had one, so I never really play it). However SNES goes like this. Super Metroid plays pretty great. Super Mario Kart will not work due to the FX chip requirements. The current emulator cannot handle this, but Snes9x in Dingux (a linux dual boot for the Dingoo) is showing promise. The development is still very early, but FX based games may work at some point. Since FX games don't work, Starfox and Super Mario RPG is out as well. However, Super Mario Kart does work if it is the GBA version. I'd highly suggest that. As for Super Mario World, it runs kind of slow and suffers the Y/B button issues. Apparently Snes9x in Dingux fixes this. However, I just play the GBA port and it works fine.

3. The purchase has been more than worth it. FM Radio, MP3s, Movies, and a crap ton of video games in my pocket? YES.

Thanks for the reply. I was mainly worried about super metroid on the snes, because you are right about how the gameboy advance pretty much has an alternative for many of the snes greats. Still kind of worried about the genesis, but the arcade emulation seems to be alright so I could probably get my fix for many of those types of games there.
omgitsthepope

Postby Morlac on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:34 am

Further opinion/input for you:

For the emulation, a lot depends on what you plan to do with it and how comfortable you are with installing dual boot linux, etc. For example --

(a) Many people say that the screen tearing in genesis games kills that emu for them. Others say they can live with it in some games. You may want to look around for videos of it to judge for yourself. (basically a line appears across the screen -- though I believe people were reporting that running linux was actually fixing it even without any patches to the emulator.)

(b) SNES games may run slow or skip too many frames for your tastes. Again, if you are in it for the long term and willing to upgrade to linux and other emulators, this should get a lot better.

(c) If you tend to play more RPG and strategy than fast-moving arcade/action stuff, you'll probably be pretty happy with any of the emulations.

As for the durability of the device --

(d) I've been almost obsessively careful with mine. I don't have a screen protector for it but it lives in the same padded case as my DS. It definitely feels flimsier than either my DS lite or PSP-2000, but it's also a fair bit less expensive than either. It doesn't feel cheap, but there's a bit of softness to the plastic. I *love* my dingoo, but don't buy it expecting to get a really high-end device. For the price, I think it's great!

(e) There have been a number of people in the forums (maybe half a dozen across the boards I watch in the past month or two) who have said that they broke the screen under very light usage conditions, but it's always tough to judge how widespread problems like that are with such a small community.

(It also absorbs smudges from your fingers like you wouldn't believe -- at least my black one does. I keep my hands extremely clean and yet the dingoo always looks like a kindergartner had been playing with it at lunch whenever I finish with it.)

Bottom line --
Definitely recommend that you look for videos in forums and on youtube to get a better sense of the dingoo so you'll feel comfortable knowing what you're getting into. Also, look at your various options as to where to buy it. Dealextreme is probably the cheapest, depending on where you live, but it'll take longer to get and if you do have a problem, it'll take longer to resolve. I've been very impressed by kswildside, who runs www.dingoo-digital-usa.com. He seems to be incredibly active on the forums and always trying to help folks, whether they bought from him or not. Since he's shipping from the US, if you live anywhere in North America, he'll probably be faster and very customer-helpful (though also more expensive.) There are other options, of course, but those are the two I'd mention first.
Morlac

Postby omgitsthepope on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:56 am

Morlac wrote:Further opinion/input for you:

For the emulation, a lot depends on what you plan to do with it and how comfortable you are with installing dual boot linux, etc. For example --

(a) Many people say that the screen tearing in genesis games kills that emu for them. Others say they can live with it in some games. You may want to look around for videos of it to judge for yourself. (basically a line appears across the screen -- though I believe people were reporting that running linux was actually fixing it even without any patches to the emulator.)

(b) SNES games may run slow or skip too many frames for your tastes. Again, if you are in it for the long term and willing to upgrade to linux and other emulators, this should get a lot better.

(c) If you tend to play more RPG and strategy than fast-moving arcade/action stuff, you'll probably be pretty happy with any of the emulations.

As for the durability of the device --

(d) I've been almost obsessively careful with mine. I don't have a screen protector for it but it lives in the same padded case as my DS. It definitely feels flimsier than either my DS lite or PSP-2000, but it's also a fair bit less expensive than either. It doesn't feel cheap, but there's a bit of softness to the plastic. I *love* my dingoo, but don't buy it expecting to get a really high-end device. For the price, I think it's great!

(e) There have been a number of people in the forums (maybe half a dozen across the boards I watch in the past month or two) who have said that they broke the screen under very light usage conditions, but it's always tough to judge how widespread problems like that are with such a small community.

(It also absorbs smudges from your fingers like you wouldn't believe -- at least my black one does. I keep my hands extremely clean and yet the dingoo always looks like a kindergartner had been playing with it at lunch whenever I finish with it.)

Bottom line --
Definitely recommend that you look for videos in forums and on youtube to get a better sense of the dingoo so you'll feel comfortable knowing what you're getting into. Also, look at your various options as to where to buy it. Dealextreme is probably the cheapest, depending on where you live, but it'll take longer to get and if you do have a problem, it'll take longer to resolve. I've been very impressed by kswildside, who runs www.dingoo-digital-usa.com. He seems to be incredibly active on the forums and always trying to help folks, whether they bought from him or not. Since he's shipping from the US, if you live anywhere in North America, he'll probably be faster and very customer-helpful (though also more expensive.) There are other options, of course, but those are the two I'd mention first.

Thanks, I'll probably end up purchasing it from dingoo-digital since you said they have good customer support. I'm probably going to get the white one (though there is a thread talking about how new white ones were bricking if you tried to update, but it looks like that might of been resolved) because I kind of like the look and I've learned in the past how smudged up black devices can get. The white will still probably get dirty but whatever lol. Is it very hard to install linux onto the device? I have no experience with linux. I'm okay with using computers and what not but I don't have any computer programming skills. I bet there are plenty of step by step guides out there though for people like me.
omgitsthepope

Postby kamiyay on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:35 am

btw I totally have dropped mine on tile and cement in the last two days (yes I am a clutz...) and it is fine.
kamiyay

Postby eule on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:07 am

Really? I remember one, and that was, because he carried the dingoo in his pocket. I do the same, but i always wear cargo trousers... :lol:
Anonymous said: is a fake.
Tobias said: it seems to run very slow ...so it could be real ...
Eläkeläiset - Humppa rules!
eule

Postby Morlac on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:17 am

eule wrote:

Really? I remember one, and that was, because he carried the dingoo in his pocket. I do the same, but i always wear cargo trousers... :lol:

There was one guy on this forum, but on another forum there was a thread with at least 5 different users saying the same thing:

http://www.dingoo-digital.com/forums/i-need-help/screen-cracked

Bottom line: use a case, preferably a hard one with padding, at all times.
Morlac

Postby losa on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:37 am

I'd say the Screen is easily as good as the DS screen. Nice & clear & doesn’t suffer too much from burring.

I shall not spam!!!/dingoo-a320-d ... -1629.html
losa

Return to A320 hardware