Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

'Music making' apps for Dingoo A320.

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

'Music making' apps for Dingoo A320.

Postby krk on Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:19 am

Hello happy Dingoo owners!

I'm curious does anyone bought this handheld for same reason as me = to run trackers/music apps emulate those thins to make music.

I can't wait when Dingoo Linux will run at it's 100% power, so it will unleash true power of this little gear.
Currently emulation on this 'console' is far from perfect (I'm using modded GBA, but back light isn't as good as in Dingoo), so I'm not using it to make music (there are neat GBA/GBC hombrew/apps like Reboy, Sludgeon, Looper, Nanoloop, LSDJ, Audile, LabSound, Pounder, UCBN).

Anyway - I'm curious does anyone thought about using Dingoo A320 to make some music stuff or knows any apps that I can run on it to create neat sounds (also I hope that some programs will be ported for Dingoo Linux OR maybe even written specially for this handheld - synthesizer/tracker/sampler/drum machine/*only dreaming, cause it's so unreal*DAW program for Dingoo; it would be awesome to run stuff like this on this little black/white box)?

Dingoo has good specs, internal and external storage, wav (?) recording function (also USB port = MIDI IN&OUT communication, right?) - I really can see this handheld as portable music production studio (and/or to us it for chip-scene purposes).

Feel free to drop here your thoughts about Dingoo music related stuff.
krk

Re: 'Music making' apps for Dingoo A320.

Postby emusan on Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:33 am

you might want to check out the re-ware project(link), they might help you with compiling music-making softwares for the Dingoo. After linux comes it should be pretty easy to port PDe and maybe even Fast Tracker 2. I'm not much in the scene anymore, but that was one of my favorites, also Milky Tracker might be portable, source is available. I might take a stab at porting some of these this weekend, but I've got too much homework to work on them now.
emusan

Postby Mikey 134 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:52 pm

this is a really good idea
Mikey 134

Postby Gadgetoid on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:16 pm

I might see what I can do with SDL Drum Toy: http://olofson.net/mixed.html
Gadgetoid

Postby ingood on Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:43 pm

emusan wrote:you might want to check out the re-ware project(link), they might help you with compiling music-making softwares for the Dingoo. After linux comes it should be pretty easy to port PDe and maybe even Fast Tracker 2. I'm not much in the scene anymore, but that was one of my favorites, also Milky Tracker might be portable, source is available. I might take a stab at porting some of these this weekend, but I've got too much homework to work on them now.

I wish you luck trying to port these. The Milkytracker UI would probably need some major reworking, if only from a graphics perspective. Currently the minimum res is 640x480, even FastTracker 2 ran at 640x400. The UI elements are too large to fit in a smaller window, you'd only fit the menu buttons and pattern controls on the dingoo without reworking the design.

Not trying to be a negative nelly. ;) It'd probably be better bet to try to get a linux GBA emulator running, something that has near-perfect sound emulation, and use those apps. They'd be designed for such a low resolution.
ingood

Postby emusan on Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:58 pm

I was thinking you could have either the menu screen or the pattern controls, and switch between them with L or R. I might try using an interface like NitroTracker for DS as a good starting point, its very easy to use.

I will probably have to completely redo the UI and controls, but I would keep the original stuff as a base. I don't really know if I can do something like this, but I'll give it a try.
emusan

Postby krk on Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:31 am

I see that topic moved a little and it's living & I'm really glad from it - looking forward for 'Dingoo music scene' ;)

I know about existence of Syntrax Free Synthesizer (for S60 symbian phones; http://www.finished.nl ); it would be nice to run something like that on Dingoo.
For far future, I can even see option to run some VST instruments on Dingoo Linux + controlling it by usb midi plugged controller (but that's only 'my wish' and I know that won't be possible soon /if ever/).

Few GBA apps runs fair enough to bang beats from them, GBC is in worse state.

I'm curious, will it ever be possible to port linux apps (there are few DAW/Digital Audio Workstations written for this system) to Dingoo.
Guess that time will bring (cause I'm not a coder/programmer/mathematic head, so all I can do is wait and wish that Dingoo scene will grow and someone will think of musicians :D ).

Best wishes guys & girls; keep typing your thoughts/ideas/discoveries here.
krk

Postby ingood on Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:40 am

@emusan: I'm glad you're willing to try that, I'm mighty interested in using some music creation software on-the-go. My Dingoo is the only device small enough and powerful enough that I have. Sorry if I seemed condescending, I just see a lot of pie in the sky projects suggested on this forum. ;)
ingood

Postby emusan on Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:24 am

krk wrote:For far future, I can even see option to run some VST instruments on Dingoo Linux + controlling it by usb midi plugged controller (but that's only 'my wish' and I know that won't be possible soon /if ever/).

I'm pretty sure that midi wont be happening any time soon, it would require USB host, which if at all possible, would require some Linux hacking. If it is possible on the hardware side, then I don't see why it can't be put into apps.

ingood wrote:@emusan: I'm glad you're willing to try that, I'm mighty interested in using some music creation software on-the-go. My Dingoo is the only device small enough and powerful enough that I have. Sorry if I seemed condescending, I just see a lot of pie in the sky projects suggested on this forum. ;)

Don't worry, you don't sound condescending(I often worry about that as well, its one of the main problems of speaking through text, there is a lack of emotion). And I agree about the number of "pie in the sky" projects here, but the scene will progress much faster, and dev's will learn a lot more, through setting many lofty goals. Even if they aren't accomplished, the dev who worked on it usually has learned a TON of new information, but it does come at the cost of flaming from the community, people don't like it when they expect something and don't get it, even if it was going to be free of charge.
emusan

Postby imz on Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:23 am

Ambitious plans here:) I think it's pretty hard to port any trackers to the dingoo, but it might be possible. Resolution might not even be the biggest problem. I've been using MilkyTracker lately and as far as I know it also runs on windows mobile on 320 x 240, so you might want to take a look at that for example. Also, the limited amount of buttons on the dingoo make it less practical. Still, it's good seeing new ideas! :)
imz

Return to Homebrew