Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Maybe we need some standardisation

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

Maybe we need some standardisation

Postby mortys on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:48 pm

First of all, thanks to all coders/contributors to Dingux.
A lot of work has been done so far, and I'm very please to be a part of this community.
But, for Linux noob like me, a lot of stuff is very complicated to understand. Most of all, this should prevent some people to code on Dingux.
What we need (coders, tell me if I'm wrong),
1 : a common toolchain for coders
2 : define a process to load a front end after the launch of the Kernel (so each user cool have their own fronted, if they want, but nobody will have problems with apps)
3 : put clear instructions for apps
4 : define a common extension for the command line files
5 : find a way to creat the miniSD under Windows to have more people joining the Dingux community.

That's just ideas or, at most, suggestions. I'm already happy with everything done so far but the easiest using Dingux and apps will be, the more the comunity will growth.

Edit :
Is there a way to put and launch apps from the Fat partition and only use the Ext3 partition to store the config files and so on, cause currently all my aps (and their data) are in the Ext3 partition and I have to use lunx everytime I want to change something.
Last edited by mortys on Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mortys

Re: Maybe we need some standardisation

Postby zear on Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:03 pm

@4
I propose a ".goo" extension. It's relevant to the device name, and it sounds funny. What you guys think?
@5
I don't think there is a way to create an ext2/3 partition on a memory card under Windows.
Even using Ext2IFS (see: http://www.fs-driver.org/troubleshoot.html )
zear

Postby grz3siek on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:08 pm

Yes, there is a way to use FAT partition under Dingux. You can execute programs from there.

Create folder /mnt/fat and add to your /etc/inittab:
Code: Select all
::sysinit:/bin/mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/fat

It's very comfortable to put your history file there :)

Check DingooWiki for more tips :) http://opendingoo.com/wiki/index.php/Dingoo-Linux
grz3siek

Postby mortys on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:49 pm

thx a lot
mortys

Postby wejp on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:18 am

zear wrote:@4
I propose a ".goo" extension. It's relevant to the device name, and it sounds funny. What you guys think?

Hehe, great extension name for programs. :lol:
That would be okay with me. Even though an extension isn't really necessary for programs (there is an executable flag), it could be useful for menu applications to find those executables that are meant to be executed by the user (and omit system binaries etc.).
Image Image Image
wejp

Postby Gadgetoid on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:37 pm

I wonder if a kernel image can be loaded onto the Dingoo with an inserted memory card with the sole purpose of formatting said memory card. Is it possible to integrate such functionality into a init image? Or, perhaps, drop a tool onto the memory card itself which would be run by the image. A simple app that creates an xMB FAT partition and then makes everything else ext3. Or vice versa if we want to focus on FAT as the primary storage area, which I would imagine is the case.

Of course... getting the linux rootfs onto that partition in windows isn't going to be easy, either?

In this case, couldn't the rootfs reside on FAT, too?

A standard location and method of installing homebrew apps would be nice, with things like the PSP you just toss everything into the respective GAME or GAMEXXX folder and the firmware picks up and displays those apps in the XMB. Such functionality would be nice on the Dingoo.
Gadgetoid

Postby mortys on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:21 pm

@Gadget
I find your ideas really cool. It'll be a good thing to simply stuff.
Thx
mortys

Return to Homebrew