Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Linux "generic progress" (non-developer-stuff)?

Firmwares, themes and software hacks go here

Moderator: Moderators

Linux "generic progress" (non-developer-stuff)?

Postby martinax85 on Fri May 22, 2009 8:05 pm

Ok, can someone please fill me in "generally" what has been done, what is being worked on and what will get started, when it comes to linux development, perhaps with some estimated time for a "version 0.0001 pre-alpha" something :lol: ?

With generally I mean like... English ;) !
martinax85

Re: Linux "generic progress" (non-developer-stuff)?

Postby ezelkow1 on Fri May 22, 2009 8:37 pm

well if you really want a .0001 pre-alpha, thats sorta what exists now. A kernel that can boot along with a root file system. Of course you cant really do much with it but it is a starting point, so I guess that would be considered alpha.

Im not sure what is left to get working, besides the radio and tv out, im sure there are other things that have to be hacked into the linux kernel that booboo is looking at. Of course by working I mean, linux can see the hardware and that gives another developer a chance to be able to use it.

I am working on getting a single patch, so that developers can download the stock linux system and apply the patch and be working right away. Also getting a whole build environment going that is made for small devices, so it uses alot less memory and is more efficient for them, and getting some more stuff pre-installed on the file system. Most of that stuff is done, still working out some issues with the patching, and have one more library to get pre-installed so that SDL is fully installed, that makes creating new apps and porting a whole lot easier since SDL is very common.

As far as an entire end user system with a menu and crap that can run, who knows
ezelkow1

Return to Firmware/Themes/Hacks