Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

linux and emu performance

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

linux and emu performance

Postby heiligerhubertus on Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:40 pm

first, i'd like to thank booboo for his great work on linux!!!!
the dingoo developers have to give him thousands of dollars for his work and selling their product!!

my question is about gaming performance under linux.
what do you think:
is it more important/necessary to get_
1. optimised linux for the dingoo or
2. to get optimised emus for linux running on the dingoo?

and
3. how far are we with linux? alpha, beta,.... do we have to update every week?

all i want is perfect genesis, snes and PC ENGINE emu;)

cheeers and thank u all once again
heiligerhubertus

Re: linux and emu performance

Postby ainu on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:01 pm

3. rootfs and toolchain update every day)) thanks 2 ezelkow
Dingoo Linux user & programmer from Russia
Sorry for my poor English
ainu

Postby Harkins on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:14 pm

I don't think it matters. In his post announcing the forthcoming dual-boot, booboo said he's going to keep focusing on polishing the Linux kernel. There are plenty of folks interested in working on emulators, so I think both will happen at the same time.

Lots of really great work on these fronts, thanks everyone!
Harkins

Postby joyrider on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:12 pm

the emulator you are seeing now on dingoo linux are just quick ports so it's unoptimized and not using asm for certain parts. I just builded those to see how they would run and if they would run at all. There are emulator developpers needed to fix games and or make speed improvements.
joyrider

Postby dj_yt on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:24 am

Can anyone comment on the recommended dev route to go down for Dingoo.

Am I better off investigating coding under linux for dingoo, or will it be sometime before before performance of the various linux drivers is up to par with the native firmware - and therefore should I be using the s2dsdk framework for now?
dj_yt

Postby ezelkow1 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:07 pm

Its really up to you. According to the guys that have been working with the existing sdk its just an sdl frontend anyway, so anything made with the sdk should be easily portable to linux
ezelkow1

Postby joyrider on Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:53 pm

ezelkow1 wrote:Its really up to you. According to the guys that have been working with the existing sdk its just an sdl frontend anyway, so anything made with the sdk should be easily portable to linux

it's not actually a frontend for sdl (since sdl is never used). but if you know sdl you should be able to figure everything out by just looking at the docs. my rubido game was originally written for sdl i just replaced the sdl calls with the sdk calls. and altered it a bit.

i would definatly go for dingoo linux though now that dual boot is working. way easier and you have complete control. nonetheless it's still possible to make native apps for the dingoo firmware.
joyrider

Return to Homebrew