Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

It is possible to port stepmania to Dingoo ?

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

It is possible to port stepmania to Dingoo ?

Postby brebis875 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:57 pm

Hello

I wondered if it was possible to port Stepmania for Dingoo A320 ?

http://www.stepmania.com/wiki/Downloads

Thanks
brebis875

Re: It is possible to port stepmania to Dingoo ?

Postby espontaneo on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:21 pm

It's 3d accelerated using opengl so no....
espontaneo

Postby diablos872001 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:44 am

On the Sony PSP there is a clone of stepmania that works very well.

It's PSP Revolution

A link of a video from youtube: Link of the Video

Something about the code of the application: Here under Technical Info

I'm not a coder, so i don't know if would be possible to port it on the dingoo, someone more expert than me should reply to you!

hope it helps, bye!
diablos872001

Postby espontaneo on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:57 am

As I said 3d hardware...psp has 3d hardware dingoo does not. Porting the game would require writing a software renderer and that would make it very very slow on the dingoo.

It would probably easier to write from scratch - but hey I'm no coder and can't stand those games anyway :)

Except "parappa the rapper" - that rocks!
espontaneo

Postby diablos872001 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:09 pm

espontaneo wrote:As I said 3d hardware...psp has 3d hardware dingoo does not. Porting the game would require writing a software renderer and that would make it very very slow on the dingoo.

Ok the dingo hasn't got the 3d hardware, right.

But i don't understand one thing: where is 3d in stepmania or psp revolution? I mean: the arrows that appear from the bottom of the screen and disappear in the up of it are the only things moving, arent they 2d? Am i considering it wrong?
diablos872001

Postby espontaneo on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:20 pm

Well, I've not played the game myself but I know what you mean. Screenshots seem to show 3d dancers etc dancing about on some versions and regardless of whether it actually appears to be 3d or not it is still using opengl (which means the graphics are handled via special commands for 3d hardware) which is not really possible on the dingoo.

On the other hand look at it this way, these games are very simple, someone could code one for the dingoo but don't hold your breath.
espontaneo

Postby diablos872001 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:35 pm

espontaneo wrote:Screenshots seem to show 3d dancers etc dancing about on some versions and regardless of whether it actually appears to be 3d or not it is still using opengl (which means the graphics are handled via special commands for 3d hardware) which is not really possible on the dingoo.

I think there are different clones of Dance Dance revolution (DDR) and stepmania is one of them.
Yes, some of them have got 3d dancers, others can play the video of the song on the background and others only have got a static background (an image) with only the arrows that move on the screen.
If you watch the video in my first post of this discussion i will see that the PSP version is the last case, so no 3d dancer o something else, only arrow. Here
Pretty sure that is possible on dingoo, but last word on somebody more expert than me
diablos872001

Postby espontaneo on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:40 pm

The games uses opengl, look it up.

It's a 3d graphics instruction set - whether it looks 3d or not, it is using the 3d hardware, all the objects moving about including the arrows, are not sprites like in traditional 2d games, but textured 3d objects (this means they can be antialiased, zoomed, spun, faded, etc simply and speedily using opengl instructions).

What you are not seeing is that to port the game all that opengl stuff would have to be rewritten to use software, which means all of the graphics code or the opengl would have to emulated and that's just not going to happen, ever.

I don't know of any other open source dance mat games if there was one that didn't use opengl then its more likely.

But like I said probably not the hardest game to program...
espontaneo

Return to Homebrew