Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Is resoldering memory possible ? 32MB to 64MB ?

Firmwares, themes and software hacks go here

Moderator: Moderators

Is resoldering memory possible ? 32MB to 64MB ?

Postby jmd28 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:32 pm

jmd28

Re: Is resoldering memory possible ? 32MB to 64MB ?

Postby flatmush on Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:45 pm

If you look at the data-sheets the only difference between the memories is an extra address pin which is instructed to be left unconnected on the 128Mbit ram but is A12 of the 256Mbit version. You'd have to check if the NC/A12 pin is connected on the dingoo first and if it is then it is possible that it may work though you'd probably have to modify linux to use it.
To be honest though I can't see any dingoo apps actually requiring 64MB of memory, if you want increased performance then I'd suggest looking at the timing stuff in the jz4740 and seeing if it's possible to solder in some 200MHz low power memory and speed up the memory controller.
C99 samples without using s2dsdk | MineSweeper | AstroLander
For help with dingoo programming or just in general, join our IRC at irc://irc.freenode.net/#dingoo-a320
flatmush

Postby jmd28 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:16 pm

It is hard to tell where pin 36 is connected as tin marks are on all pins and some paths are covered by memory chip. I'm not really technician nor programist :( but I might play wit it when I manage to order 256Mbit modules (no luck yet).

PS.64MB would be good for some pc game ports and I remember Booboo having some problems with memory hungry sound drivers on Dingoo-Linux so I think more ram less worries :)

PS2. Do I need some special soldering iron for this ? All I have is 12W and 25W with pin sharp tip.
jmd28

Postby batman52 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:26 am

Hi,
at work I have to solder TQFP80 chips by hand so i can tell you what you're trying to do... and you're going to fail unless you get the right tools:

- a temperature-controlled sodering iron (not more than 350°) whit the thinnest tip you can find
- thin tin (0.2mm)
- Electrostatic discharge: you'll have to connect yourself to "ground". Usually temp-controlled sodering irons have a proprer hole you can connect a sort of bracelet, useful to this
- I use a microscope (10x) to see, but maybe a very good magnifying lens could be enough... i cursed all the universe untill i started to use the microscope... a simply multimeter isn't good to test connections because the weight of the tips on the pins of the device enables false contacts
- very small tweezers.
- A LOT of time and patience

good luck!
batman52

Postby emusan on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:40 pm

you can also use solder paste and a simple stencil, there are some great tutorials out there(link to best). All you need for that is:

-solder paste(can buy cheap online)
-stencil(can be made laser cut or out of cardboard)
-cheap skillet(from target)

however, with this method you run the risk of frying all your parts, however that will happen with both unless your careful.
emusan

Postby jmd28 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:51 pm

After spending a lot of time on the phone and being send from one company to another I made a decision to stop looking for this memory. The closest I got is an box of thousand from electronics2000. Sorry to disappoint you people but this would be much to expensive hobby for me.

A big THANK YOU to all above for your professional advice and suggestions.

For all that wish to see Dingoo upgraded in extra memory and internal storage please read post by >kswildside> on http://www.dingoo-digital.com/forums/developers-corner/resoldering-memory-possible-32mb-64mb

PS. Paste through stencil soldering is really impressive !
jmd28

Return to Firmware/Themes/Hacks