Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Emulation of low-res consoles

All A320 emulation related topics

Moderator: Moderators

Emulation of low-res consoles

Postby Dan on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:05 pm

I am planning on ordering a Dingoo in the next week or so, and I was wondering what happens when you emulate a console with a low resolution, particularly the Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Color. Does the image get stretched, or is it centred, or can you choose what happens?

Thanks!
Dan

Re: Emulation of low-res consoles

Postby Hellsing1 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:42 pm

You can play GBA in full screen or original - you have the option. I play it full screen and it looks perfectly fine to me.

Playing it on the original setting has it centered with 1cm black borders around each side.
Hellsing1

Postby nardich on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:04 pm

The problem is for the SNES, for example, the emulator stretches automatically the image, and SNES isn't 4:3 ratio. There you can't choose.
For the GBA, I find the streched image not that nice...
But I've always been allergic to streching which doesn't keep the aspect ratio.
nardich

Postby Bingo83 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:00 pm

Some stretch some dont. I play Tetris on mine and its centered on screen and plays and looks fine.
Bingo83

Postby JeKel on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Yeah, the low res and sound issuess bother me so I rarely use GBC files. Tetris on NES is spot on and works flawlessly so I use that.
JeKel

Postby Yongary on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:59 pm

nardich wrote:The problem is for the SNES, for example, the emulator stretches automatically the image, and SNES isn't 4:3 ratio. There you can't choose.
For the GBA, I find the streched image not that nice...
But I've always been allergic to streching which doesn't keep the aspect ratio.

IIRC (It's been, like, forever since I played on one), the actual SNES was formatted at 4:3 when it output to a TV-set. I don't ever remember it displaying in the square shape like it does on computer emulators.
Yongary

Postby nardich on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:25 am

Yongary, you're absolutely right !
The Snes had always displayed 4:3. But here is an LCD screen, and is you stretch to full-screen without heavy bilinear filtering, it's awful. So (guys tell me if I'm wrong) for Snes not to look awful, they just stretched horizontally.
Resulting in something really okay for Snes.

But GBA stretched to full screen does really looks weird here (GBA isn't 4:3). They should have stretched the image with the same ratio on both directions.
nardich

Postby Dan on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks for your replies. I am glad that the option is available on GBA, I really hate stretching unless it is double/triple/quadruple/etc..
Dan

Return to Emulation