Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Ebook Reader Problem

The official software and games as released by Dingoo

Moderator: Moderators

Ebook Reader Problem

Postby Yongary on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:51 am

So, I've been messing around with the Ebook reader on the Dingoo, and aside from a few quibbles (the autoscroll is painfully slow), I don't really have any problems with it.

Except one

Whenever there's a quotation mark, it "eats" (for lack of a better word) the adjacent letter and displays as a Chinese character. This makes reading anything with a lot of dialog a huge hassle. Is there a way to change this? I like the ebook reader function, but this problem makes it almost impossible to read the sort of stories I like on it.
Yongary

Re: Ebook Reader Problem

Postby batman52 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:35 am

Hi, i still couldn't understand if it's an encoding problem or a supported character set problem. Anyway i solved using the command-line tool called "iconv" (included in linux distribuitions) to convert my text files to ASCII7 encoding, using //TRANSLIT option. I'm losing all accents (i'm italian, and italian has quite a lot of accented letters) but at least I don't have to deal with chinese characters. If you use windows i supose you can find somewhere a windows version of iconv, or probabily some text editors have this function too (notepad++, scite, maybe others).
batman52

Postby schanall on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:00 pm

Do your ebook reader show up numbers? I can only see chinise symbols when a number should appear.
schanall

Postby batman52 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Very strange...
numbers are represented in the same way practically with all encodings... never had problems with them. Could you send me the file you are using?
batman52

Postby schanall on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:15 pm

sorry I forgot about my post. I have deleted the files, but they came from the gutenberg project. For example http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext99/advsh12.txt
schanall

Postby batman52 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:13 pm

schanall wrote:sorry I forgot about my post. I have deleted the files, but they came from the gutenberg project. For example http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext99/advsh12.txt

Just tried the file you linked and i can see all the numbers in the right way... i think you should simply check again!
batman52

Postby American in China on Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:22 am

This is likely due to a unicode issue. The factory probably does the vast majority of their quality testing in Chinese, and only checks the English version sporadically. Only being able to read .txt files is a pretty big limitation, too.
American in China

Postby Harteex on Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:17 pm

It seems the problem is files with UTF8 encoding.
Files with Unicode encoding works fine with quotation and numbers, but no italian or swedish characters works.
To save a txt with unicode, open notepad and pick save as. There you can choose unicode in the list (don't choose unicode big ending, that won't work).

I guess someone could try to save a file in one of the chinese encodings, such as GB or BIG5. But I don't know if any italian characters are part of those encodings.

Maybe those characters are simply missing from the font (when using unicode, those characters are replaced by a empty space). If so, maybe someone could hack the font to add more characters.
Harteex

Return to Official software & games