Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

doomgoo trouble shooting

Any and all A320 homebrew topics

Moderator: Moderators

doomgoo trouble shooting

Postby romleinster on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:45 pm

i can't seem to get doomgoo to work properly. I've copied over all the files to ports/doomgoo, and the new scripts to dmenu/scripts/doomgoo but whenever I try to run anything it gives me a null error, file/directory not found. what did I do wrong?
romleinster

Re: doomgoo trouble shooting

Postby romleinster on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:21 pm

ok, well since no one can help me with this maybe I'll try this question. I try to add "Wolfendoom" as detailed at dingoo-scene (http://dingoo-scene.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... works.html). I copied all the files into /prboom and edited the dmenu ports file to add new entries for eisen and original. Neither will run and the terminal says:

usage: chmod [-Revf] MODE[,MODE]... FILE...

Each MODE is one or more of the letters ugoa, one of the symbols +-= and one or more of the letters rwxst

Options:
-R Recurse directories
-c List changed files
-v List all files
-f Hide errors

can someone explain what this means and how to get these things to run??
romleinster

Postby MeneerJansen on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:31 pm

First of all the link in your 2nd post does not work so it's difficult for me to see what you're doing. Secondly, what's the Dmenu entry with which you're starting the game? Dmenu 0.3 does not support commandline options any more, so they should be in a shell script. Could you post the shell script you're using? Do you have the necessary files in which (non free) levels reside? A lot of game ports on Dingoo only contain the game-executable, not the levels themselved because that's illegal.

Good luck :)
MeneerJansen

Postby romleinster on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Sorry for the busted link, it keeps getting clipped by the board. This is the address:
http://dingoo-scene.blogspot.com/2009/ and then 08/wolfendoom-works.html (just googled "wolfendoom dingux" and it was the first hit)

I downloaded that data pack (http://www.swefurcon.se/files/wolfendoom/) with all the corresponding wads and dehs and unpacked them right into ports/prboom. Both the dmenu entries I copied and pasted from that site. Looks like this:

MenuItem Doom
{
Icon = "res/ports/doom.png"
Name = "Doom"
Executable = "chmod +x prboom ; ./prboom -file eisen.wad -deh eisen.deh"
WorkDir = "/usr/local/ports/prboom"
}

and a second one using chmod +x prboom ; ./prboom -file original.wad -deh original.deh for the executable. I'm not familiar with shell scripts, (probably my problem) so if you could point me to a walkthrough of how to work with them that would be awesome.
romleinster

Postby romleinster on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:14 pm

After reading through the Half Life for Quakux thread, I'm pretty sure my problem is getting the shell scripts to work, since it sounds like the command line in dmenu I have above will not work with dmenu 0.3. so I made a script using notepad++ to look like:

#!/bin/sh
chmod +x prboom ; ./prboom -file eisen.wad -deh eisen.deh

then saved that as "eisen.dge" in the prboom directory. Then I changed dmenu's executable to read:

Executable = "./eisen.dge"
WorkDir = "/usr/local/ports/prboom"

When I do this, I get a null void error, no such file or I'll get an applet not found error. A couple people had this issue in the Quakux thread but I couldn't find a solution posted. Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong and how to make it run?
romleinster

Postby zear on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:10 pm

The "null void error, no such file" is a common error that happenes when you edit a linux script in a windows text editor, that doesn't respect unix endline characters.
Well, Windows sucks balls and doesn't follow any standards, so I suggest that you either write shell scripts on Linux, or use a win32 text editor that supports unix endline characters, such as notepad++ :)
zear

Postby CirothUngol on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:40 am

Yup, that's probably the issue. I had that problem when writing the ShellScripts for DOOMgoo (I wasted an entire Sunday trying to figure out why they weren't working... I'm more of a Batch File guy myself ^_^). If you're using Windows, use a text editor that will save in Unix format... I use TextPad as it's free and damned versatile. Also, make sure there are no extra lines, characters or carriage returns after the final command as that will lead to a Null Program Error as well. If you've grabbed the DOOMgoo 1.0 Package as well as the 1.1 Update with Scripts, and simply extracted it to your SD Card it should work without any additional effort as I've tested each of the ShellScripts to make sure they work. Please let us know if you have any further issues (and sorry I didn't see this topic and respond earlier. I haven't looked at the forums or used my Dingoo for a couple of weeks)
Odie, Odie, cha cha cha
Odie, Odie, cha cha cha
CirothUngol

Postby romleinster on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:41 am

well like I said I've been using notepad++ since the beginning of writing all my scripts. I went through and edited them all to read exactly as above with no extra line breaks. Edited Dmenu with Notepad++ and formatted the new entries exactly like everything else. Confirmed that all wads, dehs, and dges are in the prboom directory, and I'm still getting a null/void error. I read somewhere about scripts needing to be copied to dmenu/scripts am I missing something there?? Sorry, I just can't figure out where I'm going wrong with this.
romleinster

Postby CirothUngol on Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:39 pm

In the above example, you didn't change the directory before attempting to execute the application. Check this example for loading "Army of Darkness" MOD from the scripts archive for DOOMgoo 1.1 Update:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/ports/doomgoo/udoom
chmod +x prboom ; ./prboom -deh aodtcudm.deh -file aodtcspr.wad aodtctx1.wad aodtclv1.wad aodtcsnd.wad edsfx.wad aodtcms1.wad aodup-d1.wad

All files must be in the same directory you change to... remember, ALL MODs need an original DOOM.WAD of some sort to work from; in the above example, it's the "Ultimate DOOM" WAD, which is selectable using the "-wad" command, but unneccessary if it's the only Official WAD in the directory. Most MODs use the DOOM II WAD, but you have to check the documentation for your particular MOD to see which WADs it's compatible with. For ease of use and future modification, I've separated all the MODs in DOOMgoo into separate directories, based upon which Original WAD the MOD requires. Please load the complete DOOMgoo Package (1.0 and 1.1 Update with Scripts) and use it's scripts and directories as a template for any further modification. As far as I know, the scripts aren't required to be in the /local/dmenu/scripts/ directory, but if it continues to fail, perhaps you should follow that example as well.
As a last resort, reformat your SDCard, reload the newest toddler image, and then reload the Complete DOOMgoo Package (1.0 and 1.1 Update with Scripts). So far, you're the only person I know of who hasn't had the full installation work. Please let us know if your problem persists.
Odie, Odie, cha cha cha
Odie, Odie, cha cha cha
CirothUngol

Return to Homebrew