Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Dingoo dead on day one?

All topics/questions about A320 hardware

Moderator: Moderators

Dingoo dead on day one?

Postby thefcpguy on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:14 pm

I received my Dingoo A320 from DealExtreme yesterday, and had fun while it lasted. I was copying files via USB to the device when it powered down suddenly. I've tried pressing the reset button with the end of a paperclip several times, but nothing seems to power it up anymore.

Do I have a dead device? Is there anything else I can try before shipping it all the way back to Hong Kong and waiting for a replacement?

Thanks in advance!
thefcpguy

Re: Dingoo dead on day one?

Postby modis on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:27 pm

Not sure if anything can be done, but let me tell you DealExtreme has been slow lately processing returns. I placed mine early last week, and I only got a message saying someone has been assigned to my case, and to check their forums for a solution to the problem.
modis

Postby thefcpguy on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:44 pm

Wow, that's a drag. I suppose there's a possibility that the device is just bricked, because searching on these forums I saw reference to a restore utility that is supposed to bring it back from the dead.

At the point it failed I was copying a 350MB .avi file to it to see how the video playback looked. Would that type of data transfer brick the A320?
thefcpguy

Postby Morlac on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:50 pm

The unbricking tool relates to failure during a firmware update. Just transferring files shouldn't brick it. Was it getting hot when it was copying, like maybe there was a battery problem? Any response if you try to recharge it?
Morlac

Postby thefcpguy on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:59 pm

I don't recall it feeling hot, but I had left it sitting next to the computer while I did other things. Today when I connected it to a Windows computer (I usually am on a Mac) it is recognized as a USB device, which gives me some level of hope.

I had connected it several times to the Mac yesterday, and when I was done each time I ejected the device from the OS, unplugged the USB cable, and reset it (there's a known Mac USB issue where the Dingoo freezes after a disconnect). Perhaps something got corrupted?

Who knows. It looks like it may be a while before I hear back from Deal Extreme in any event. That one hour I had to play around with it was enjoyable enough, I suppose. :?
thefcpguy

Postby emusan on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:51 pm

have you tried using the unbricking tool? It couldn't hurt.
emusan

Postby thefcpguy on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:42 pm

I did try unbricking it. Following along with the Chinese screenshots in the documentation was, um, interesting, and I was able to get to the very last step where it starts actually updating the firmware. From there it just does nothing. The Dingoo display stayed off the entire time...
thefcpguy

Postby kamiyay on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:51 pm

I wouldn't know since I don't have mine yet but it sounds to me like an RMA is in order. It may take Deal Extreme a while, but it's better to start it sooner rather than wait.
kamiyay

Postby Dan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:11 am

You must have been a real monster in a past life for something this bad to happen to you.
Last edited by Xap on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Keep it friendly, OK?
Dan

Return to A320 hardware