Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

A hardware hacker looks at handling Over-Clocking heat.

All topics/questions about A320 hardware

Moderator: Moderators

Re: A hardware hacker looks at handling Over-Clocking heat.

Postby strider_mt2k on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:47 pm

Here's a shot of my white Dingoo with thermal transfer tape applied to the Ingenic CPU.

There are also smaller pieces of thermal transfer tape attached to the memory chips that will help keep the heat spreader in place.
The chips themselves don't get that warm, but they are in a handy spot for keeping the spreader attached.

I am still fabricating the heat spreader itself, so stand by for the next chapter...
Attachments
IMG_1106 quarter.jpg
IMG_1106 quarter.jpg (192.32 KiB) Viewed 138 times
Last edited by strider_mt2k on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strider_mt2k

Postby jasha on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:01 pm

Wont attaching the spreader to the CPU and RAM actually transfer heat to the RAM chips from the CPU and cause them to get hotter than normal. E.g. by reducing the temperature of one component, are you mistakenly increasing the temperature of another?

BTW I'm not knocking anything you are doing, just trying to see how it will be of benefit
jasha

Postby strider_mt2k on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:03 pm

Interesting point you make there!

I've removed the tape from those chips and installed a thicker piece of doubled 3M VHB foam tape to the open memory chip spot on the circuit board. That will float the spreader above them out of direct contact.

Good eye! Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_1110 quarter.jpg
modified tape layout
IMG_1110 quarter.jpg (183.47 KiB) Viewed 141 times
strider_mt2k

Postby strider_mt2k on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:20 pm

Here's a shot of the prototype heat spreader in place.

I wasn't going to attach it, but it's not the hardest thing to reproduce.
Attachments
IMG_1115 quarter.jpg
prototype heat spreader
IMG_1115 quarter.jpg (191.08 KiB) Viewed 139 times
strider_mt2k

Postby carlito on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:22 pm

I hope you don't short anything with that piece of metal.
Is it really necessary to cool down the dingoo? I'm not sure if this will even have a positive effect in the end?
carlito

Postby strider_mt2k on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:29 pm

No worries, my major concern was "unwanted interaction" with various nearby components.
More like the lack of a negative affect in the form of noticeable heat when overclocking, and no I'm not absolutely sure.

But that's how I roll. :)
strider_mt2k

Postby strider_mt2k on Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:35 pm

DOH! Well it looks like that big thing interacted somehow because in place my dingoo wouldn't start up.

I've reduced this thing down to a small square of metal, stuck on the CPU with a little overlap.
It warms up when playing native neo geo in testing. Hopefully it'll help a bit.
Attachments
IMG_1120 quarter.jpg
IMG_1120 quarter.jpg (206.82 KiB) Viewed 69 times
strider_mt2k

Postby strider_mt2k on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:07 am

Not knowing when to leave stuff alone, I decided to try one more thing.
I added a piece of heat transfer tape to that square of metal and attached a smaller spreader.

NOW the thing works! When playing metal slug the spreader only gets slightly warm across it's length.
The spreader is sitting pretty close to the battery when it's all closed up, but even THAT is getting a gentler heat spread across it's length instead of a point-source cooking directly into one spot.

I'll be applying this to my black Dingoo as well.
I'm calling this a success as I've done what I've set out to do.
Attachments
IMG_1123 quarter.jpg
IMG_1123 quarter.jpg (173.84 KiB) Viewed 50 times
strider_mt2k

Postby eule on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:42 pm

That looks nice, wonder if you can push the CPU over 430 Mhz? Mine doesnt´get warm at all, at least the back of the Dingoo, even at 430 mhz. Will report if my battery is fried. :lol:
One more thing: Was your SD-slot broken? And did soldering a wire onto it solve the problem? If so, i´m sure many people would appreciate an explanation. :)
Anonymous said: is a fake.
Tobias said: it seems to run very slow ...so it could be real ...
Eläkeläiset - Humppa rules!
eule

Postby strider_mt2k on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:29 pm

I didn't want to complicate the post, but yes that's a jumper soldered directly to a mini SD adapter and connected directly to the corresponding point on the circuit board.

I have to epoxy the adapter in so it won't move, and the micro SD card will have to be removed with tweezers or something, but the card slot is working again.
I don't know if you noticed from the photo but with all the handling my battery wires broke off too! (That's an easy repair though.)

Hehe, this poor thing's turning into "Frankendingoo". :)
strider_mt2k

PreviousNext

Return to A320 hardware