Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

A hardware hacker cobbles together a fix for broken SD slot.

All topics/questions about A320 hardware

Moderator: Moderators

A hardware hacker cobbles together a fix for broken SD slot.

Postby strider_mt2k on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:14 pm

A while back my white Dingoo's card slot stopped working.

When I looked into the situation I saw that pin #1 on the Mini SD slot had broken off.
My Dingoo was well out of warranty, so I decided to make a repair.

[DISCLAIMER AND WARNING]
The techniques I use should only be undertaken if you have soldering experience and a knowledge of electronics. Sloppy soldering can easily bridge contacts and that's a royal mess to clean up even if it doesn't kill your Dingoo.
Attachments
IMG_1084 quarter.jpg
Pic 1 shows the missing contact. I've removed a small piece of the SD card slot to make room for the jumper wire to come.
IMG_1084 quarter.jpg (156.48 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Last edited by strider_mt2k on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strider_mt2k

Re: A hardware hacker cobbles together a fix for broken SD slot.

Postby strider_mt2k on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:31 pm

The next thing I had to do was modify a Mini SD adapter with a jumper wire so that a permanent connection could be made to the circuit board.
IMG_1097 quarter.jpg
Mini SD adapter with jumper wire attached. (I smoothed out that solder bump afterward.)
IMG_1097 quarter.jpg (148.68 KiB) Viewed 68 times

I then very carefully threaded the jumper wire into the card slot, allowing it to exit the open hole where the broken contact used to reside and locked the adapter in place as normal. (Only this was the final time as it will be permanently affixed!)

We jump ahead a couple of steps in the next pic as I've used a piece of very small heat shrinkable tubing to insulate the jumper from the body of the SD card slot and soldered it to the circuit board. (Only after taking the picture did I see the little extra blob of solder on there, but I cleaned it up!)
IMG_1102 quarter.jpg
Electrical repairs complete, the only thing left to do is epoxy the card adapter permanently in place.
IMG_1102 quarter.jpg (169.52 KiB) Viewed 68 times

Of course I had to test it to make sure the card is recognized, so I picked a song I thought fitting! :D
As a wise man once said, "Better a Frankendingoo than a broken Dingoo." ;)

I agree. :)
IMG_1105 quarter.jpg
Sometimes it pays to take a chance.
IMG_1105 quarter.jpg (140.65 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Last edited by strider_mt2k on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strider_mt2k

Postby strider_mt2k on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:39 pm

Now the ugly part: Cementing the card adapter in place so it can't be accidentally ejected! (That would be bad...like crossing the streams bad.)
Ejecting the adapter would stress and break that little jumper...and my heart.

Some cement and a toothpick later and it looks like I've smeared cake icing all over my card slot, but do not fear! You won't see it from the outside!
(-and besides, the cake is a lie.)

You can also see the heat spreader modification I detailed in another thread.
Attachments
IMG_1125 quarter.jpg
Now this little Dingoo can Dingux with the big boys, and even tale the heat!
IMG_1125 quarter.jpg (196.18 KiB) Viewed 66 times
Last edited by strider_mt2k on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strider_mt2k

Postby eule on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:51 pm

Wow, you´re fast!
I think the fix is well thought and done, cheers for the good guide! The last pic made me spit my coffee out though. :lol:
But it´s alive. It´s aliiiive... :mrgreen:
Anonymous said: is a fake.
Tobias said: it seems to run very slow ...so it could be real ...
Eläkeläiset - Humppa rules!
eule

Postby strider_mt2k on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:25 pm

eule wrote:...But it´s alive. It´s aliiiive... :mrgreen:
Attachments
young-frankenstein.jpg
Those fellows at Radio Shack called me mad. MAD!
young-frankenstein.jpg (14.99 KiB) Viewed 23 times
strider_mt2k

Return to A320 hardware