Welcome
Welcome to a320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

A few quick questions.

All topics/questions about A320 hardware

Moderator: Moderators

A few quick questions.

Postby chao1212 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:13 am

Hey! I'm buying a Dingoo A320 soon and have a few questions about it.

Is the NES emulator capable of emulating games using mapper 163? It's used in the NES version of Final Fantasy 7.

Is the usb port capable of connection to a modified keyboard, trackball, etc., in specific compatable applications, of course? I believe packets can be sent and received through it, since I read Duke3D can use network play through it. I see quite a few possibilities such as second controllers, wifi dongles, joysticks, and other such peripherals.

Is the SNES emulation as bad as people make it out to be? There is a lot of talk about it being "Barely playable" and "Terrible", what would you say?

I showed a friend a video of the Dingoo in action, and he said he wanted one. He's completely new to open source and homebrew development and usage, would he be able to understand usage of it?
chao1212

Re: A few quick questions.

Postby slick0n3 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:20 pm

1. I don't think so. I saw a video on youtube somewhere and I think a dude had that Final Fantasy 7 rom you're talking about, but it wouldn't work. It COULD have been his rom though, so you could always try it.

2. I don't think that works either. At least, not yet. Haven't heard about it myself anyway. Maybe in the future.

3. The SNES (native) emulator) is ok. And I mean ok because on some games I can't notice any difference (Super Ghouls N Ghosts) and on others (Donkey Kong Country), it gets tough to play. I mean tough because the timing of jumps and stuff changes due to the frameskip. So once in a while you press dash then jump here and other times there. I don't know if that makes sense, but it just happens. And then of course, some games don't work (Star Fox, Super Mario RPG, etc).

4. Your friend will find it easy to use. It's drag and drop to put apps, music, videos, and games on it. If he wants to try Dingux out, I think that's where things get tricky. If my friends end up wanting one, they'll end up using the native OS only. This is why I think better native emulators would be better in the end (continue to drag and drop out of the box) or an easier, safer way to install Linux (without too much driver/bootloader stuff). Maybe like an executable or bat file or something? lol. I don't know how that stuff works. But if either one happens, I'm sure someone who knows how to drag and drop or double click on an exe/bat would be able to do it.
slick0n3

Highscores: 18

Postby darfgarf on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:58 pm

2. the chip has usb host pins, but they aren't connected in any way to the port itself (had a discusison about this with booboo)...in order to connect them you'd need to be a very good electronic engineer, with some pretty specific equipment, it'd be cheaper and easier to order all the parts in the dinggo, and build one from scratch except do it correctly (again you'd need to be bloody god with electronics :D)
darfgarf

Postby n00body on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:12 am

Just played the ff1 hack of ff7 for a few minute, everything seemed allrigt (conversation, map, battle, town).
n00body

Postby chao1212 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:50 pm

FF1 hack? The engine was created separately by Shenzhen Nanjing Technologies from China, you can tell because the same engine was used in ports of pokemon sapphire, Harvest Moon, and a few other bootleg games. Are you sure were talking about the same ROM? Thanks for the help!
chao1212

Return to A320 hardware